F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

What is that engine knock sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is that engine knock sound?

Hi all,

I ride a '93 F2 that seems to run nicely and doesn't have any problems with the engine. When the engine gets warm I notice a knocking noise from the engine when I come to a stop and the engine drops to idle. I can feel it a little through the bars too. It's hard to descride noises but it's like someone is gently hitting a wooden hammer against the engine block at a rate of two or three times a second.

I had wondered if it was the CCT but I imagine that to be more of a tap/rattle sound and this is a deeper knocking noise. It doesn't seem to be on the right side of the bike either, more from the middle of the engine. It might not be a problem but I like to keep on top of potential issues with the bike and if anyone has advice or is a bit of an expert at diagnosing strange noises then I'd appreciate you sharing your knowledge

OP

Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 PM

i have the same thing on my 98 f3 only when fully hot. i have no clue what it is. it sounds like it in the bottom of the front of the motor. but if u rev it it dont change it just goes away its not the cct im sure of that.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clutch basket clunking some possibly. I notice on a hot day I'll feela little more rumbling through the clutch lever @ red lights.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 AM

i have the same sound, when engine is warm and i give throttle in N, it dissapears when i pull the clutch lever all in

Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Default Same noise! Grrr!

I have a 2001 CBR F4i that is having the exact same symtoms that you all have discribed. I have attached a video with sound to clarify the noise I am having & believe that we all share, but I can't seem to figure out how to post it.

I am thinking that since my CCTL has been replace, I can feel the knock in my clutch lever as well, & the sounds seems to be coming from the right side of the engine between the clutch cover area & midway up the enging block, that the clutches may need to be rebuilt. Unfortunately, I have no experience to justify this. If you all could provide some of your experiences, that would be greatly appreciated.

Once I figure out how to post a video, I will do so.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Default Me too....1996 Honda CBR 600 F3

I have the same thing.
--Only when hot
--Sounds to me like it's on the left side, or center. Definitely not the right side.
--Only when under power (clutch not pulled in)
--Low RPMs
--It's worse if I'm leaning into a curve, like the tilt of the bike affects it.
--I use the highest octane fuel.
--This just started last year when the bike got over 30k miles.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, i've got the same thing. Goes away with clutch pulled in. I just read someone in a thread I created that the clutch basket rattle thing is a normal thing for these older bikes. After reading all these comments, it seems true. I've got a manual CCT so that's good and like stated, it's a deeper slower rattle. Something just quiet and insignificant enough to just let go and assume everything's o.k. I think even cars do this to an extent as well. I think unless it's making the noise loud enough that you naturally go "Crap, something's definitely wrong", it shouldn't be an issue. In most cases it probably doesn't affect performance.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:09 PM

wow,,same thing here too...but it dont go away when i pull in the clutch....i only hear it when its up to temp, and i come to a stop and you know how you kinda revv on it a lil? well thats when i hear it ,not IN the revv but after rpm drop to almost 1200,,its annoying..and it use to not do it....so that tells me theres something wrong...

Old 03-22-2013, 09:36 PM

so everyone has these problems including me and no answers?.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:28 PM

ok i fixied my knock the other day, cause i thought about it, and the only things i did before the knock was a cct and an oil change...got to looking and my oil was a tad over...so i drain sum out and havent heard the knock sence.......helped mine ,,hope this helps.....

Quick Reply: What is that engine knock sound?