F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Vac/Fuel Issue-Bogging Down, then Running Rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
I have also been through the tranny on these bikes... and I donno what to say about your 1st gear sticking after a drop. Are you sure you didn't just notice how easy it rolled when it was warm before? The cold stick mentioned above is very real. I have a dirt bike, a quad and this streetbike, plus many more wet clutch items in the family, and ALL of them do it. Very normal. The metal plates get stuck to the cork frictions plates when they sit there compressed to each other in a bath of oil. You know how if your cold glass of water condensates on a hard table how it kinda suction-cups itself to the table just because of the water? It's like that. Kinda...
I'm 100% positive. Before hand, I could move the bike, regardless of what gear it was, regardless of temp. Now, the only way I can move the bike is if I'm in 2nd or neutral. 1st gear feels like I'm trying to go uphill, with a brick in front of my front tire. It's ridiculous.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:04 AM

There's not really much that can move in there. If you're sitting there in 1st with the motor running at a stoplight or whatever, do you feel the engine dragging the bike forward or anything? Depending on mileage and history, I'd tend to guess bad/grooved clutch basket fingers or bent plates. But... neither of those are really possible from a "drop." Unless... by "drop"... You meant ridiculous crash.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 PM

I couldn't tell you. I haven't had the bike on in about a week or 2. I've been trying to fix every possible thing that I can, and every time I fix one thing, something new pop's up. I got the clutch issue resolved. Turns out that the elbow that holds the clutch cable on the housing was bent, so, I replaced that, and it's all good now.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:09 PM

bump

Old 04-26-2010, 07:48 AM

Got the starting issue figured out. I'll never be able to start it by the use of the start button.

The starting gear was broken off inside of the bottom casing, so, it's useless. I guess I'll be doing the F4i swap a lot sooner then I had originally planed.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by SuperCivic
Got the starting issue figured out. I'll never be able to start it by the use of the start button.

The starting gear was broken off inside of the bottom casing, so, it's useless. I guess I'll be doing the F4i swap a lot sooner then I had originally planed.
Cant just weld it back on? This was a common problem on the ex-500 forum and the fix was to just weld it back on.

Old 04-27-2010, 04:25 AM

It's cast iron, and to my understanding, cast iron can not be welded.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

That sucks. That is the motor destroyed. I just swapped out a case that was broken in exactly the same way. It's caused by flooding/hydrolocking the engine and then trying to start it. Part of the reason not to try and bypass the vacuum petcock on F2's.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by SuperCivic
It's cast iron, and to my understanding, cast iron can not be welded.
I spent a **** ton of time reading about this exact problem last night. Heres another link to a post on this forum with the same issue. You USED TO NOT BE ABLE TO WELD CAST IRON, as it was a PITA and u would have to heat up the item in an oven, weld it with brass, cool it down in the oven slowly and hope that it didnt crack again which it might. There are different methods and more expensive tools available now though and it can be done fairly easily. (take with a grain of salt, just what I have read) I dont weld and will be taking it to a local professional.
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowl...ronpreheat.asp

https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...t=94895&page=2
Im going to attempt welding it if the journal behind my starter gear is bad. I already have a new cover on the way.

Last edited by smith.p.sean; 04-27-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:03 AM

Yeah, the journal behind the starter gear is what's broken. I wish it was just the one on the stator cover. That wouldn't be a thing to fix.

Quick Reply: Vac/Fuel Issue-Bogging Down, then Running Rich