F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Stator cover problems and woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator cover problems and woes

Hey everyone. I had my stator cover off to make sure everything was looking okay in there. Now that I'm trying to get the cover back on I'm running into some problems. The starter idle gear had some play in it. after trying probably twenty or thirty times to get the cover to fit I figured this was the cause of the problems. I tried moving the flywheel bolt a little to see if I could get it where it should be, and now the starter idle gear is just messed up and not where it should be. The little pin that goes between that and the cover just slides right through. After looking at the service manual it says I need a flywheel holder to take that bolt off (and I assume I need to get the flywheel bolt off to get the starter idle gear back where it should be?) Is there any more commonly available tool that will let me get the flywheel off? Any other suggestions for dealing with this thing?

Also, is a new gasket absolutely necessary? Or will a nice coat of rtv do the same thing?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:13 PM

Okay nevermind, I was able to get it aligned right by taking the starter out and wiggling everything around. My next mission is going to be getting the clutches apart and out. This should be fun.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:52 PM

how did this work for you as I will be doing it very soon? is the rtv holding up?