F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Opinions on beginner project

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on beginner project

Ok, I'm in the market for my first bike and I have been looking at F2s and F3s on Craigslist, still trying to find one I like. I stumbled across this one last night

or sale is a '92 Honda CBR 600 f2. 51000 miles. Currently doesn't run. Needs throttle/carb adjustment, battery. Windshield-cracked while moving it the other day.

Has Vance & Hines pipes, frame sliders, new rear tire, new plugs, new air filter.

Great for parts, or to fix up, I don't have the time or experience. Not shown in the pics are the fairings. They are included, 100% no cracks.

Serious inquiries only please. 700 or best offer.
I have a friend on here, RedzIntimidator or something like that, who is extremely mechanical and would help a brother out with this project. I want to learn more about them anyway so I think it would be a good spring/summer project to do.

I haven't physically looked at this bike, but from the description I think its pretty viable to fix up within the $2000 range which ='s the going prices of F2/F3s.

Thanks and hopefully I will be

Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 AM

Hmm, I think this one may have potential. You definitely have to go check it out in person, though. I think that's your next step. If I were going to see it for the first time with the intention of buying, here's the things I would look for first.

-Bring a battery, or jumper cables. Attach them to the battery and make sure the engine turns over strongly and doesn't make an funny noises. This will be the first indicator of engine trouble that you don't want to deal with. Also check the electrical system -- does the headlight/blinkers work as they should? Neutral light, sidestand light?
-Examine the wiring by eye. Look for spliced connections, burned wires, etc. You probably DO NOT want to deal with some PO's wiring hack-job. The more stock, the better.
-Check out the fairings. It's good that they're not cracked, that's a start, but there's more to it than that. Was the bike dropped, showing scratches or scrapes? If you think it will need repainting, count on at least a few hundred dollars to have someone spray it for you. Then maybe some more money to have someone do some graphics/vinyl work for you.
-Don't worry so much about broken parts, in my opinion. (unless it's the frame or something that can't be replaced easily). Upon searching, you will find that Ebay has a massive selection of used parts that are cheap and easy to find.
-If the seller doesn't mind, try pulling a spark plug and checking spark. If you appear to be a serious buyer, and he's interested in proving that the bike will run soon, he'll let you do it. If you have spark, you've got one important system running correctly, and that's worth a lot.

If the bike really only needs carb work, then don't be afraid to dive right in. That's probably the cheapest work that can be done and is an easy fix.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Alright cool man, thanks for the input. Guess I'm bringing Justin with me!

I thought about offering $400, seems pretty good since it looks like he wants to get rid of it.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:18 AM

yeah that sounds like a good deal. i was in the same boat when i bought mine. i got it for 800 but it was running strong, just beat to hell from an accident. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Alright, Tax-Rebate Money say good bye!

Old 03-25-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Yeah I'd buy that bike for $500 even, probably up to his asking price. Fix that up and flip it come late spring or early summer. You'll make a decent dollar and you'll have fun learning to work on the bike!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:14 PM

Damn, he sold it already. FFS

Last edited by The Situation; 03-25-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:57 PM

just buy a running bike. Your gonna get scammed on one of these. People always claim "won't run, need carb adjusted" - could mean a blown motor, cant verify the transmissions or clutch is any good either. " starts but needs clutch". Bike runs, but cant verify transmission isnt blown either.

"wont turn over, ran great 2 years ago" - could have been blown up, tons of electrical gremlins etc.

just buy something that runs.

Your gonna get taken as a new rider, they tell you how easy it is to fix. But if it was so damn easy why couldn't they fix it?

Old 03-25-2010, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by halffast1g
just buy a running bike. Your gonna get scammed on one of these. People always claim "won't run, need carb adjusted" - could mean a blown motor, cant verify the transmissions or clutch is any good either. " starts but needs clutch". Bike runs, but cant verify transmission isnt blown either.

"wont turn over, ran great 2 years ago" - could have been blown up, tons of electrical gremlins etc.

just buy something that runs.

Your gonna get taken as a new rider, they tell you how easy it is to fix. But if it was so damn easy why couldn't they fix it?
I thought about that too, but my friend is pretty mechanically inclined so I would go off his opinion. Maybe for my 2nd bike I'll make it a project.

Either way not getting this one, as he sold it. And it was just listed last night lol.