F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

SAFE Portable Battery Jump-Starter for F2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SAFE Portable Battery Jump-Starter for F2?

As stated in concurrent discussion topic, I'm deciding on if I should switch to something beside the OEM recommended Yuasa battery. Was stranded for almost 4 hours a couple of nights ago, had to get flat-bed towed.

I carry my multimeter onboard, battery was at 12:39. In short, no start possible.

Once home, been bench-testing the battery and it's dying. Went from 13+v right off tender charge to 12:54v sitting on counter in less than 12 hours.

But I'd like to avoid what happened the other night if/whenever it should arise again.

So I've looked at some portable jump starters and it's crucial i avoid frying the electrical system - very costly to repair. As far as I know, one has to get these two specs absolutely right in portable jump starter:
1. The Amperage ("A")
2. The Milliamp Hours ("mAh")
But the specs per brand and models are all over the freakin' place. I have NO clue as to what would be an effective - and - SAFE one to get with the right specs in these two areas.

Also many of these are multi-volt so as to jumpstart a 24 or higher voltage vehicle such a car or boat, but also include 12 volt. I ONLY need 12 volt.

While I'm tempted to stay with my usual AGM Yuasa, if I decide to try gel or even Lithium, those specs can get even more critical as far as I understand it.

(And, yeah, affordability matters. Fixed disability, etc. income only. Can't afford a car. My F2 = my only personal wheeled freedom. )

Please let me know. Input from mechanic and/or very knowledgeable F2 rider preferred. I cannot afford to screw up on this.

Thanks.

Last edited by Soniclight; 11-04-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're talking about carrying around something? Why not just make sure your charging system and battery aren't on their last legs?

Discounting that, any of the units that are designed for a 12V system should be fine. The differences in amperage and mAH are two sides of the same coin, one implying maximum short-term current delivery, and the other longevity under a moderate current drain. The current delivered to the bike when 'jumping' will only be what the 'failing' battery and the starting system demand...a battery (including something like a 'jump' battery) do not 'force' current into an electrical system. The system places a demand on the battery, and it's then up to the battery to either make that demand or not.

Edit: I did a bit of reading to see if there were something I was missing, and I did discover that there is some concern that jumping a bike from a power source capable of lots more current than the average MC battery might be problematic. As a mechanic and an electronics engineering tech, I'm unclear as to any potential damage to the bike other than the possibility of smoking a starter if you decided to crank the thing for minutes on end (with the understanding that, if jumping a bike from a car or truck, that vehicle should NOT be running). I also see warnings about damage to the bikes' ECU, but that seems far-fetched (if someone want's to explain to me how jumping with a big car battery might damage the electronics of a bike, I'm all ears). All this said, I've not, in 40+ years of owning and riding motorcycles, ever jump-started one (save for the old-fashioned push start).

Last edited by EchoWars; 11-22-2017 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Moe info
Old 11-25-2017, 05:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is an interesting method

Old 11-26-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome!

Old 11-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Have to say that was pretty ingenious.