F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

rectifier help please!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rectifier help please!!!!!!!!

I know there are other threads on rectifier problems but i just wanted to tell mine to make sure and get some feedback. i just recently put in a newer motor and it came with the stator and everything ready to go. i put the motor in and it works and runs great but it seems like since then i've been having overcharging problems. my opinion is it was starting to do this right before the new engine because all of a sudden the last week or so i rode it with the old motor, my headlight and guages were brighter than ever but i didnt check the voltage to see if it was overcharging. i just put a new battery in like 3 months ago which is another reason i didnt check it. anyway i got to ride it like 5 days with new motor before i figured out it was overcharghing. it seemed real hot under the plastics than with the old engine but i figured it was just the way this new motor was because the temp guage said it was fine. then after work one day i got home and all i could smell was rotten eggs all around the bike and i've heard thats the smell of a battery going bad or leaking so i touched the batt with my hand and it was so hot i got a blister on my finger. so i know it was boiling and about to explode. well the voltage said it was alittle over 13 with the bike off. when i crank it with rectifier hooked up it idles between 12.5 and 12.7, with the rectifier unhooked it idles around 12.10. with r/r hooked up and rpms around 5,000 the volts are between 17. and 19, unhooked around 5,000rpm volts are still around 12.10 so i'm figuring it's the r/r but geez i just put that one in a year and a half ago with a new batt. i don't know how to read the meter to do a stator test but doesn't it sound like it's the r/r if its overcharging up to almost 20 volts??????? i greatly appreciate any replys and thanks alot for taking the time to read my thread!!!! i also included some pics of the r/r harness that i put on a year and a half ago with the r/r. looks like it's cooking again but i did crimp the new connectors on to the wires and i'm hearing thats not good, so is it bad? this r/r i put on was from rick's just incase anyone was wondering. should i go back with a r/r like this or should i do the gsxr r/r???? will it not get as hot or what?

Attached Thumbnails rectifier help please!!!!!!!!-rectifier-187.jpg   rectifier help please!!!!!!!!-rectifier-185.jpg   rectifier help please!!!!!!!!-rectifier-183.jpg   rectifier help please!!!!!!!!-rectifier-182.jpg   rectifier help please!!!!!!!!-rectifier-181.jpg  

Old 04-13-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

18V is bad. Hotter than hell batteries are very bad. I'd say your R/R is shot.
Whether newer or not, it should not be spiking that much voltage.

At idle, you should basically be seeing around 12V and your battery won't be getting good charge. Then up over 3k or so, you should be seeing a good charge voltage. (maybe 13V+ to upper 14V)

I would replace it with one from electrex or something (or even try Ricks for an exchange?). I thought the ricks ones were supposed to be decent. They have a 1yr warranty, too.
I would also make sure all your wiring is good, as well as all connections. It could also be melted/compromised from that kind of current.

Maybe also check the AC voltage from the stator and compare it to what it's supposed to be.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 04-13-2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this earlier while at work so didn't have a chance to reply. Something I do at work with cable boxes: I never replace a box twice until I've gone over the house top to bottom.

It's rare for anything new (or newish) to go out twice without an underlying cause. I'd check the entire charging system. Could be the stator is causing the r/r to go bad. Electrosport has a good general diagnostic of the charging system. They also supply aftermarket direct plug n play r/r and stators for our bikes. Here's a link to their fault finding guide..

Haven't used their products myself but have heard good reviews on other sites and here as well. Even carry r/r connectors to replace burnt ones