F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

read my plugs please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM

did A lot more screwing with the bike last night and today. Took the carbs completely apart, again. Every nut and bolt. I'd eaten ice cream out of them they were so clean.

3 things I found while messing with them after re-assembly.

1: I believe the richness in #3 might be the result of a worn needle slot. While just cracking the throttle I could clearly see fuel spraying from around the #3 needle but not the others. I raised the clip on that needle to see if I could drown out some of that. Didn't really seem to help.

2: The Idle mixture screw seems to have no effect on that cylinder. No temp change, no sound change, no RPM change, nothing. I'm talking about closing the mix and then opening it up several turns seems to do nothing.

3: While syncing the carbs I have 4 hoses connected to the carbs with plugs in the end of them. When I remove the plug from cylinders 1-2-4 there is of course a raise in RPM's as the cylinder leans out then the rpms fall due to lack of fuel to almost stalling if I don't connect a gauge or put the plug back it. When I pull the plug on #3 there is NO change in rpm. WTF? I have Vacum gauges hooked up and #3 is pulling the EXACT same amount..... how in the world could pulling that plug not cause it to change rpms? only reason I can come up with is that it's running so rich that when the plug is pulled it leans it up to a "normal" range, but then again I would also expect to hear a change in the way it runs or see a rise/fall in rpms.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 PM

ok, throughly convinced myself that there is something FUBAR in the #3 carb I bought these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2584wt_932

As soon as I get them they will get a complete cleaning and put on bike. Ideally all cylinders will then be close and I'll start the jetting procedure again.

I'm headed to Daytona for bike week! going to check out the AMA race on Saturday.... camping in the infield tonight and tomorrow night!

Thanks,
Adam

Old 03-11-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adam90xj
ok, throughly convinced myself that there is something FUBAR in the #3 carb I bought these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2584wt_932

As soon as I get them they will get a complete cleaning and put on bike. Ideally all cylinders will then be close and I'll start the jetting procedure again.

I'm headed to Daytona for bike week! going to check out the AMA race on Saturday.... camping in the infield tonight and tomorrow night!

Thanks,
Adam
Jealous.

If you roll thru Georgia on your bike - take all your ownership documentation with you.
They've got checkpoints stopping all motorcyclists on the highways and inspecting their bikes/documentation.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by adam90xj
did A lot more screwing with the bike last night and today. Took the carbs completely apart, again. Every nut and bolt. I'd eaten ice cream out of them they were so clean.

3 things I found while messing with them after re-assembly.

1: I believe the richness in #3 might be the result of a worn needle slot. While just cracking the throttle I could clearly see fuel spraying from around the #3 needle but not the others. I raised the clip on that needle to see if I could drown out some of that. Didn't really seem to help.

2: The Idle mixture screw seems to have no effect on that cylinder. No temp change, no sound change, no RPM change, nothing. I'm talking about closing the mix and then opening it up several turns seems to do nothing.

3: While syncing the carbs I have 4 hoses connected to the carbs with plugs in the end of them. When I remove the plug from cylinders 1-2-4 there is of course a raise in RPM's as the cylinder leans out then the rpms fall due to lack of fuel to almost stalling if I don't connect a gauge or put the plug back it. When I pull the plug on #3 there is NO change in rpm. WTF? I have Vacum gauges hooked up and #3 is pulling the EXACT same amount..... how in the world could pulling that plug not cause it to change rpms? only reason I can come up with is that it's running so rich that when the plug is pulled it leans it up to a "normal" range, but then again I would also expect to hear a change in the way it runs or see a rise/fall in rpms.
Jet could be worn, so could the needle. Weird that only 1 of them would be worn though and not all 4 to some extent. Do the sliders and diaphragms work well on 3rd carb? What about the float? Does the needle for the float move well and is the float height the same as the 3 other carbs?

Do the idle mix screws on the other carbs have a noticeable effect while the 3rd doesnt? I have never adjusted them on a running bike to see. I don't have the nifty Long D screw driver tool thingymabob. :P

The syncing thing is weird though but I don't have enough experience syncing to give any advice there. You are getting new carbs so I guess my post here doesn't matter. haha, good luck and have fun at Daytona

Old 03-13-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Jealous.

If you roll thru Georgia on your bike - take all your ownership documentation with you.
They've got checkpoints stopping all motorcyclists on the highways and inspecting their bikes/documentation.
Thanks for the heads up! Good news is that I live just over 100 miles from daytona so my buddy (97 blackbird) and I were at the speed way in 2hrs.

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Jet could be worn, so could the needle. Weird that only 1 of them would be worn though and not all 4 to some extent. Do the sliders and diaphragms work well on 3rd carb? What about the float? Does the needle for the float move well and is the float height the same as the 3 other carbs?

Do the idle mix screws on the other carbs have a noticeable effect while the 3rd doesnt? I have never adjusted them on a running bike to see. I don't have the nifty Long D screw driver tool thingymabob. :P

The syncing thing is weird though but I don't have enough experience syncing to give any advice there. You are getting new carbs so I guess my post here doesn't matter. haha, good luck and have fun at Daytona
Floats are the same, sliders all smooth, diaphrams all look fine, Jets are new factory pro. The Idle mix screws on 1,2,4 make a noticeable difference while the bike is running.

We were about 15 mins into our trip to daytona running about 75mph and the bike quit. Pulled over and rummaged around to discover a loose connection of Ignition pick-up. Plugged her back in and it seemed to run better overall. In fact it ran well all up and down main st. daytona, with lots and lots of stop and go.

idle to 4.5K is smooth. The problem arises cruising over 4.5k rpms. Just feels like it's running rich. If i am running a constant speed and just crack the throttle open it smooths out until I gain a little rpms and get back to steady cruise.

Here's some pics for ya:

We camped at turn #4 in the speedway:

left to right, blackbird, 04' R6, My 04' r6 looking F2 lol.

Our 8am alarm clock were super bikes on 1st lap of practice!

Name:  IMAG0034-1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  55.8 KB

Rolling Main street!

Name:  IMAG0008-1.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  66.6 KB

Smoke show at Iron horse

Name:  IMAG0033-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  49.3 KB

Group pic lifted from one of those "ill take your picture and then charge outrageous amounts of money": hence the crappy quality.

That's My GF on her R6, me, and my buddy/his GF on blackbird.

Name:  bikeweek.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  64.9 KB

Old 03-13-2011, 09:29 PM

Awesome pics! I am jealous, its only now barely warming up around here. I have to move south lol.

What gets me with your carbs is that you visually see the needle jet spewing more fuel, AND your pilot screw doesn't do anything. Having 2 circuits rich makes me think that its a float problem. COuld be height, or it could be the float needle not seating well. Yet, your pilot adjusting screw not doing much is just strange. As much as I want to figure it out, its probably so much easier to just get a new set of carbs on there.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did new carbs fix this? im having the same problem but on plug 1. cold pipe on startup crappy midrange but good after i get passed 7k and below 5

Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 AM

New-used crabs have made a big difference.

As soon as I got them I pulled them apart to clean them up. To my surprise they were spotless inside and had a complete jet kit already installed. The setup was a lot different then what I was running.126 mains, much higher float height, idled at 1.75 out and clips were 2nd from top with a shim above and below. I decided to bolt them on how they were. I checked the sync with some vacuum gauges and they were close enough to not mess with. Cylinder #3 tends to run slightly hotter than the others now but I have been able to reel it in on the low side by opening its idle mix a tad bit more than the others.
With the much smaller mains and higher clip position I was anticipating lots of backfire and surging bc of the leaner setup. So far it pulls hard through all rpms, idles better, and has better mid range cruising.
I only have about 250miles pm these carbs. I did pull #1 plug yesterday making sure there were no little specks of my piston on it. Looked pretty good, "fuel ring" was there, although not black, porcelain was starting to tan, heat range looks perfect.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:19 AM

I think that is pretty close to how mine were set up on my F2. Hope it works out for you!

Quick Reply: read my plugs please!