F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Rattle dianosis (don't think it'd cct or clutch)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle dianosis (don't think it'd cct or clutch)

Apologies if I posted this twice, though I already did but I can't find it!

Hi guys

I have noticed a constant rattly noise on my CBR600F2 (1993) obviously these are known for the Cam Chain Tensioner being a bit dud, but as far as I am aware the CCT is louder when the bike is cold, but this rattle doesn't go away when the bike has warmed up, or when the clutch is pulled in or released.

It doesn't get any more intense at higher revs and is never really intrusive or noticeably louder*, if I started her up in front of a non mechanically minded person, they wouldn't pull a funny face and say "what the hell is that noise?" but it is definitely there.

*I say it doesn't get noticeably louder, but it seems the same amount of loudness no matter what speed I am doing, it is perfectly distinguishable from the air noise and engine noise when I am well in to three figure speeds so it is obviously making a louder sound than when I am chugging around town.

The sound can only be heard with the throttle in a positive position, if the throttle is neutral or closed it doesn't make the noise.

Whatever is making the sound doesn't appear to affect the performance at all, the bike will wheelie if I go WOT from a slow speed, with no bouncing of the throttle or use of the clutch.

The bike as far as I am aware is completely standard with the exception of a K&N and a too loud exhaust.

Any suggestions as it has got me a bit stumped. I am tempted to ignore it and put it down as "one of those noises that engines make" but I am a wee bit concerned as I can definitely hear it.

Thanks, and if I have been unclear in my description, please tell me and I will re-write.

c_dug

Old 10-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I fixed the CCT and accepted the clutch rattling, I just got used to the noises of the engine. Mine has 64,000 km, so I'm not expecting a purring engine.

I think you need to verify the location of the rattle.

You say
can only be heard with the throttle in a positive position, if the throttle is neutral or closed it doesn't make the noise
. This does suggest the clutch plates. They are pretty noisy on my bike.

The CCT on the other hand was a ridiculous noise that you can hear disappear as you tighten the APE CCT adjustment bolt.