F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

New owner with questions about type, a gas tank hose and chain adjuster bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner with questions about type, a gas tank hose and chain adjuster bolts

Hi!
New member, new CBR owner and new rider here! Just bought a Honda CBR 600F and I have already a few questions popping up.

1) Let's start with the basics: I don't even know if I just bought a F2 or F3. The bike was registered for the first time 01.06.1995, but sold as an F2. My understanding is that all F-bikes from 1995 were F3's, is there anyway to confirm one or the other?

https://i.imgur.com/bxcKdrF.jpg

2) There's a loose hose from the gas tank that chokes the engine when I've tried to run it with the hose connected. What is it for? Is ok to run with the hose disconnected?

https://i.imgur.com/KmGXoPo.jpg + https://i.imgur.com/cMcVs3q.jpg

3) When I went to tighten the chain I realised the chain adjuster bolt was bent/broken on the chain side and the nuts were missing on the exhaust side. Can I simply tighten the chain by loosening the axle bolt and moving the wheel backwards? Other suggestions?

https://i.imgur.com/2M31Ufu.jpg + https://i.imgur.com/JjgB9gv.jpg

4) It seems the chain is hitting something between the front and rear sprocket, just next to where my left foot is resting. But I hope this will be fixed once the chain is tightened.

https://i.imgur.com/J7KDNUK.jpg (seems to be slight wear on the thickest parts of the chain)

Last edited by Ludo; 07-21-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi, congrats on the new bike.

1) it's an F2 for sure, you have a speedo cable on the front wheel. Probably a 94. Look at the vin plate on the right side behind the steering head, it will have the manufacture date there.

2) Large hose is the gas cap drain. It drains rain water or spilled gas from around the cap area and down to the ground. Small hose is the gas tank vent. It lets air into the tank and the gas drains out, so that you don't get a vacuum in the tank. That's why your bike isn't running. Both of these hoses are suppose to connected to the tank and open to air on the other. They usually run down towards the ground and end up somewhere between the engine/waterpump/swingarm. I'm guessing that the other end of the small hose is hooked up to somewhere it shouldn't be.

3) Wow, your chain adjuster are big time fuber. Get some new ones. There are usually lot of them cheap on ebay. You'll have a really hard time getting an even adjustment and properly aligned chain without the adjusters. Plus they hold everything in place while you tighten the axle. You really do kind of need them.

4) Take your rear hugger off and look at the top of the swingarm. The chain is probably rubbing because it's loose. But there should be a rubber guide on the top/front part of the swingarm. Also check the alignment of the chain too.

Old 07-23-2019, 03:28 PM

Thanks, I'm absolutely in LOVE!

1) Sorry for my incompetence, but I saw no date per se, but the frame number is 2308472. I can only assume it means it was produced 23 of august -94 number as number 72 that day? https://i.imgur.com/rnr54QU.jpg

2) If I recall correctly I did blow and suck on the small tube and bubble sounds was made as well as no vacuum on sucking (didn't dare to suck far enough, maybe I should have). This confuses me even more, but on your reply regarding the small hose it seems it's okay to have it unplugged?

3) I found some on ebay! Do you agree I only need left side chain tensioner as right side seems good except from the missing nuts? I also found hondapartshouse.com, is this as legit as it looks?

4) Thanks for the tips', I will have a look when I have time (next week )

And thanks so much to you, Phil314 and CBRforum in general. Already found answers to most of my questions here and of course I had to make an account as soon as the contract was signed. I am thrilled to be part of this community!

Last edited by Ludo; 07-23-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:51 AM

1. Yeah, that's the vin plate and frame number. The frame number is just a number doesn't tell you the date. Starting with a '23' tells you it's a 94 F2. A '22' would be a 93 F2. Your vin plate is different from ours and your frame number looks more like an engine number. You can see the date on ours. Mine was made 9/93.

2. Yeah, I wasn't clear on this point. The small hose should NOT be attached to anything else. It should only be attached only to the tank. Find out where the other end attaches to and send a pic. Because your going to want to take it off, connect it to the tank. But then your going to have something else that is unplug and you need to figure out what to do with it. Someone hook up something up wrong and you should fix it. I saw a guy once hook the big tube to the carb vents. Huge mistake. Next time it rained, the carbs filled with water. He went to start the bike the next day and it destroyed the engine.

3. You also need the cover plates/end caps for both sides. And double nuts. One is a 12mm and one is 14mm. I've used servicehonda.com and ronayers.com for new oem parts. I'd look on ebay for these as they don't need to be new.

Last edited by Phil314; 07-24-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:19 AM

1. I agree, it's definitely a '94 F2. Nice.

2. I'll have a look Sunday/Monday, for now I'll ignore it and pray.

3. Thanks. Are they side specific? To me the two in the picture seems to fit on the left side, but maybe they are used interchangeably for left/right?

5. What is your opinion on this mysterious ticking noise?
Not my video, but I have something similar. The guys on Youtube suggest it's the cam chain tensioner, and with the research I've done it seems I should order a manual one and install it. My engine starts and runs fine, and the noise appears to be less loud than in the video, and if I recall correctly louder as I let go of the throttle.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ludo
1. I agree, it's definitely a '94 F2. Nice.

2. I'll have a look Sunday/Monday, for now I'll ignore it and pray.

3. Thanks. Are they side specific? To me the two in the picture seems to fit on the left side, but maybe they are used interchangeably for left/right?

5. What is your opinion on this mysterious ticking noise? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74WCcZ3kDg Not my video, but I have something similar. The guys on Youtube suggest it's the cam chain tensioner, and with the research I've done it seems I should order a manual one and install it. My engine starts and runs fine, and the noise appears to be less loud than in the video, and if I recall correctly louder as I let go of the throttle.
3. left and right are exactly the same. Just put them in with the scales side showing out. It helps to get the right and left sides even.

5. Cam chain tensioners (CCT) are a very well know problem on F2/3's. It's not a matter of if they will make noise - It's a matter of when. They all do eventually. I've put manual tensioners in every F2 I've ever owned. It gets rid of the noise and makes your cam chain last longer too. It's hard to tell from that video, but it does sounds kind of like a cam chain. The big tell is that it happens when you let off the throttle, that says CCT. It will get worse and worse until it rattles all the time and sounds like marbles in a coffee can. They are cheap and easy to install, well worth doing.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:35 AM

Thank you for quick and informative replies again!

5. Is there any immediate danger to any parts driving with a sketchy CCT (like in the video)? In other words; should I let the bike stand until I get the CCT fixed?

Also, if you're into cryptocurrencies I'd love to tip you some NANO as a thank you.

Old 07-28-2019, 02:51 PM

No immediate danger from the CCT. They just make noise, then they make more noise, eventually they get REALLY noisy. But I've never heard of one causing damage.
The sound you hear is the chain slapping against the upper chain guide.
Here's the catch, the guide will wear and crack. And that guide is no longer available from Honda, so given that, I'd replace the tensioner, sooner rather than later.

No tip needed. I'm just paying it forward to others. At some time in the future, perform a random act of kindness for a stranger, and it's all good.