F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

New to it all!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to it all!

Ok well here it goes i just purchased a 1993 CBR f2 from my brother... the bike is in perfect shape less than 8 thousand on the clock. never been dropped or laid down. i promise i will post pictures soon so heres the deal... Its still in his garage and he hasn't rode it in years. He ran stabil in it before storing it and it had been sitting ever since. The question is what needs to be done in order to get it going? ive got the new battery, oil for the oil change, new plugs but the debate came down to the carbs. my brother claims sea foam is what we should do while my friend who works at a local dealership says sea foam is horrible and that i should pull all the carbs and have them cleaned really good. any suggestions?

Old 08-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDom9193
Ok well here it goes i just purchased a 1993 CBR f2 from my brother... the bike is in perfect shape less than 8 thousand on the clock. never been dropped or laid down. i promise i will post pictures soon so heres the deal... Its still in his garage and he hasn't rode it in years. He ran stabil in it before storing it and it had been sitting ever since. The question is what needs to be done in order to get it going? ive got the new battery, oil for the oil change, new plugs but the debate came down to the carbs. my brother claims sea foam is what we should do while my friend who works at a local dealership says sea foam is horrible and that i should pull all the carbs and have them cleaned really good. any suggestions?
sea foam works really good sometimes but i'd take the carbs off and clean them before you try and start it ... good luck post picture's of it

Old 08-15-2010, 10:05 PM

did i mention ive rode mopeds and a couple of dirtbikes but never s street bike!

Old 08-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigDom9193
did i mention ive rode mopeds and a couple of dirtbikes but never s street bike!
its all the same but you will have more power take your time ride safe you'll be fine and watch for dumb *** on the road !

Old 08-15-2010, 10:22 PM

True, just a little nervous that's all, he lives on a 55mph road and he has a stone driveway. But I know I'll be fine I'm just being a puss!

Old 08-16-2010, 12:54 AM

Well, the stabil may have done it's job, but that long... meh...

I'd at least drain the gas tank and the carbs, and start with fresh gas. It very well may not need anything. You can do that in under an hour, and then with some fresh gas see what kind of results you get firing it up!

Congrats on getting an F2 by the way. They're pretty solid bikes, with a nice all around riding position for doing anything you'd ever want to do!

I'd advise you invest in frame sliders being newer to street bikes. They're cheap ($20~) and they WORK! I've unfortunately crash tested them with amazingly succesful results.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:17 AM

will do sir!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
Well, the stabil may have done it's job, but that long... meh...

I'd at least drain the gas tank and the carbs, and start with fresh gas. It very well may not need anything. You can do that in under an hour, and then with some fresh gas see what kind of results you get firing it up!

Congrats on getting an F2 by the way. They're pretty solid bikes, with a nice all around riding position for doing anything you'd ever want to do!

I'd advise you invest in frame sliders being newer to street bikes. They're cheap ($20~) and they WORK! I've unfortunately crash tested them with amazingly succesful results.
+1 tested mine Sat night. Lowsided - in my carport. W/the engine not even running. Was coasting in slow from a run to Blockbuster. Forgot my carport needs a leaf-blower job, and my driveway was coated in pinestraw. Prolly had a ton of trash on the tires, and started turning into where i park it, touched the front brake and it skidded on me @ like 1mph. No damage done except to the slider, which is what it was there for, and my ego, which will heal. Doh!