F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

I think I just thru my timing out the window...

Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I just thru my timing out the window...

So before you say to align my "T" mark on my pulse generator to the Index Mark, I can't...

I have a 94 F2

So I'm in the middle of a valve adjustment, and I made the foolish mistake of turning my engine with the pulse generator without having both cams on the chain. I did this to take out slack in the chain. (I'm following Michael S thread https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-...-guide-101969/)

Now, the reason why I can't simply take the cams of the chain and realign the "T" mark to the index mark and then just set the cams back to their correct position is my pulse generator doesn't have a "T" mark. See attached picture. My pulse generator has a KHR (I think) on it. I do not know if it is an aftermarket part, the valves have been adjusted in the past I think. I think it's been done because the numbering on the shims isn't the same font as some others.

The KHR is @ 9 O'clock
http://imageshack.com/a/img707/8936/urig.jpg
High Res

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the pulse generator back into the correct position and then to align my intake/exhaust cams in the proper location?

Thanks in advance,
-Rob

Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 PM

I had a similar experience on my bike while checking for valve clearances, although I did have the markings to aid me in getting the engine to top dead center.

There are a lot of different ways to find top dead center, and quickly googling it shows multiple responses.

I remember that I used something simple, like a ball point pen, and put it down the spark hole plug of piston #1 and cranked the engine manually. When you crank the engine, the pen that's sticking out of the spark hole plug should move up and down. When the pen is furthers out, that's when it should be at top dead center.

What I can't remember though, is whether it's top dead center in the intake or exhaust cycle that you want to start from to do your measurements. You will probably have to consult a manual to see what makes sense.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by switched
I had a similar experience on my bike while checking for valve clearances, although I did have the markings to aid me in getting the engine to top dead center.

There are a lot of different ways to find top dead center, and quickly googling it shows multiple responses.

I remember that I used something simple, like a ball point pen, and put it down the spark hole plug of piston #1 and cranked the engine manually. When you crank the engine, the pen that's sticking out of the spark hole plug should move up and down. When the pen is furthers out, that's when it should be at top dead center.

What I can't remember though, is whether it's top dead center in the intake or exhaust cycle that you want to start from to do your measurements. You will probably have to consult a manual to see what makes sense.
thanks for the idea, that actually makes sense.
I'll do some research on it more so,

-Rob