F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Hid install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011 | 03:53 PM
|
Default Hid install

I just finished my installing my hid kit from ddm, Its 6000k with the H4 bulb.. Ive installed hids before on cars so nothing was new, however after the mount and install, my hi beam doesnt work... When i hit the switch it doesnt change from low to hi... just stays on what im assuming is low.. any idea on what the culprit or issue might be?

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:16 PM

post up some pics btw! i wanna see this

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:35 PM

I did the DDM kit on mine a while back - my main question is are you sure you bought the kit that allows Hi/Lo beam operation? The sell the kit both ways.

Xenon bulbs don't change intensity for hi/lo operation, so in a vehicle you either have a different bulb that does each brightness, or they have a mechanical element that pivots the bulb up and down to "hide" a part of the bulb from the reflector in the lamp housing, creating the darker output pattern.

My hi/lo kit had a bulb assembly that looks like this - is this what yours looks like?

and all the parts:

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:39 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by holyniht
I just finished my installing my hid kit from ddm, Its 6000k with the H4 bulb.. Ive installed hids before on cars so nothing was new, however after the mount and install, my hi beam doesnt work... When i hit the switch it doesnt change from low to hi... just stays on what im assuming is low.. any idea on what the culprit or issue might be?
Did you connect the Hi/Lo relay?

Check the inline fuse on the relay?

When you hit the Hi beam can you hear the telescopic part on the bulb move? If not your problem is in your relay.

If you connected it directly to the battery try connecting the ground to a ground screw as my buddy had to do that on his R6 for them to work.

Hope that helps

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:41 PM

Jank - I did a writeup on installing mine if you were interested. - but I had to eventually move my ballast from the pictures cause it didn't clear once I got my fairings painted and went to install em.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...nstall-114898/

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:45 PM
|

yeah my kit looked exactly like that, i ordered the hi/low 55w kit, and i actually did my install based off your guide since i never did an hid install on a bike. I too had the metal housing around my bulb, im beginning to think either the bulb is faulty or they packaged the wrong bulb with my setup.

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:47 PM
|

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Did you connect the Hi/Lo relay?

Check the inline fuse on the relay?

When you hit the Hi beam can you hear the telescopic part on the bulb move? If not your problem is in your relay.

If you connected it directly to the battery try connecting the ground to a ground screw as my buddy had to do that on his R6 for them to work.

Hope that helps
no i dont believe i hear anything once i flip the switch, and my inline fuse isn't burnt out, if the relay was bad, wouldn't my system not fire up at all?

Old 12-12-2011 | 06:53 PM

no i dont believe i hear anything once i flip the switch, and my inline fuse isn't burnt out, if the relay was bad, wouldn't my system not fire up at all?
The relay is to power the telescopic base that pulls the bulb inwards to change the beam pattern to a Hi beam. So if it wasn't getting power it would be doing exactly what it is doing.

If you connected the negative to the battery try connecting it to a ground screw, For some reason thats what my buddy had to do for his R6 when he had a similar problem.

Old 12-12-2011 | 07:09 PM
|

Originally Posted by jeffjones
The relay is to power the telescopic base that pulls the bulb inwards to change the beam pattern to a Hi beam. So if it wasn't getting power it would be doing exactly what it is doing.

If you connected the negative to the battery try connecting it to a ground screw, For some reason thats what my buddy had to do for his R6 when he had a similar problem.
i see, mines is currently grounded to the screw mentioned in Junky's writeup,

Old 12-12-2011 | 07:38 PM

i see, mines is currently grounded to the screw mentioned in Junky's writeup,
I have no idea why it would make a difference but just throwing it out there as thats what my buddy told me he had to do.

Quick Reply: Hid install