F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

HID headlamp install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Ok - so you just have an aftermarket H4 bulb like a Silverstar or a Piaa or something? If there's nothing surrounding the bulb, then it should function similar to the stock bulb. Pic might help - sounds like you have what Sov mentioned where the upper has a cutoff that is leaning with the bike's lean.

Might just need to adjust your beam up a bit to see if that helps.
i'll try that but i was just talking to a friend and he has the same lights in his car and he said his is the sameway it puts out a line and thats it . he said going over a hill the light don't open up stays the same with the line ! i might just put the stock light back in it .......

Old 08-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hparker619
i'll try that but i was just talking to a friend and he has the same lights in his car and he said his is the sameway it puts out a line and thats it . he said going over a hill the light don't open up stays the same with the line ! i might just put the stock light back in it .......

i think i have got it working like i want it ..... had help from my brother holding the bike up ..........i moved the beam around and i think it will work right now i'll find out tomorrow night ....... thanks guys for the help

Old 08-10-2010, 12:45 PM

The not seeing through turns when leaned over is a classic problem on all motorcycles unfortunately.

BMW is working on a solution, and it's relatively simple, although it appears to be servo driven and require lots of newfangled technology. If the same could be accomplished by sheer inertia in combination with gravity, it would be far simpler and easy enough to bolt onto most bikes.

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-adaptive-h...k1600gt/15606/

Old 08-10-2010, 10:29 PM

Putting in a stock bulb isn't going to fix anything, all lights are designed to have a "cutoff" of sorts. The only difference is that halogens aren't as prominent. Cutoff is a straight line when you're straight up, you lean over and so does your cutoff.

Obvious issue, if you lean left the left part of your cutoff line is now lower than your right. Nothing you can do about this, just how it works. No matter what kind of bulb is there.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SovXietday
Putting in a stock bulb isn't going to fix anything, all lights are designed to have a "cutoff" of sorts. The only difference is that halogens aren't as prominent. Cutoff is a straight line when you're straight up, you lean over and so does your cutoff.

Obvious issue, if you lean left the left part of your cutoff line is now lower than your right. Nothing you can do about this, just how it works. No matter what kind of bulb is there.
yeah i was working on makeing it better but no luck ........ so next i am going to put 2 lights on the inside and try and hide them from being seen and when i turn on the high side on the switch they will come on maybe that will work better......... we'll see soon

Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 AM

Only real way to fix it is to put the bulb housing in a gyroscope so that it always stays level.

I just aimed my lights up a little higher than normal, I can see well enough to keep up a good pace around the tight twisties I live around.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:47 PM

A lot of great info here. Thanks for the link to DDM and the writeup! I'm stoked to get one of these kits in the mail soon.