F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Help, rear brake light does not work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, rear brake light does not work.

In result i can not ride. While pulling in front brake or pushing down on rear brake the rear light does not get brighter. I have been reading around a bit here and discovered the patterns of the wires and re traced. I have checked fuses and bulbs and even moved the ground wire to assure it was grounded out. All turn signals work too. I read about a rear pedal switch and how that can be an issue? now would that tie into the front brake as well bc as i mentioned neither of them trigger the light to become brighter. Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get a voltage tester and start from the rear...from the brake light socket, find the trigger wire...see if there is juice when appling brake (F/R)...then work your way back to the rear brake & front.

If there is juice immediately at the socket, maybe your 2 terminal bulb??

It's 90% connection...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:51 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

+1, dual filament bulbs. The brake side can burn out with tail lights still working. Cheap to replace anyway. If thats not it, check the fuse. Then make sure that your charging system isnt putting out too much and blowing bulbs or fuses. Its probably not, but good to check anyway.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
+1, dual filament bulbs. The brake side can burn out with tail lights still working. Cheap to replace anyway. If thats not it, check the fuse. Then make sure that your charging system isnt putting out too much and blowing bulbs or fuses. Its probably not, but good to check anyway.
Thanks.. what bulb are you using, a +1 dual filament bulbs?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 AM

+1 to estates pointing out that your bulbs have 2 filaments...

both switches work independently, but could have issues. make sure the rear switch it being pulled enough to trigger the lights and that the front switch is working. they could have gone out at different times and you didnt notice. but check bulbs and fuse first.

Last edited by 74demon; 03-07-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM

Thank you now i understand, i will try just this. Would you by chance have bulb model #? can you use a car bulb application?

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM

car bulbs are the same. im not sure of the number for the f2, but if you take out the bulb the number is stamped on it. im guessing 1157....

Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM

Cool man, thank you for all of your help.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:34 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

74demon is always willing to help...so remember to vote for him on March ROTM....Lol....

Back to the topic... That's why it's important to test the socket with a voltage tester...any $2 12V tester from harbor freight will do...on the rear socket (parking light and brake light) there is one ground wire (usually black), one wire that has constant juice once you turn on your key, then there is one wire (trigger) only has juice when you apply brake...now if you test the trigger wire and it does work when applying brake, then you know for sure it's the bulb...If you look at the bulb up close, there is 2 filament...one high one low...guessing the high one is brake light....

Now if you test the trigger wire and no juice?

Then work you way back, it's connection/fuse/relay...something is cutting off the brake light trigger...

Lastly, you've not mention the history?? Was brake light working fine when you purchase bike...did you do any mods may have cause this? When going inside the tail section, look for anything not norm? Sometimes previous owner may have done something....

Adding these types of info will help, if you are still unable to resolve brake light issue by the above suggestions made.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it is not the bulbs or the fuse, then the contacts in your brake switch es might be corroded or worn as well - I did a How-to on taking the rear switch housing apart and cleaning it up. Lemme go find the link and I'll post it into the thread. The process is very similar for the front.

Quick Reply: Help, rear brake light does not work.