F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Crash tested extended frame sliders. Worth every damn penny!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crash tested extended frame sliders. Worth every damn penny!

Hey everyone.

So I was just cruising along to work today, traveling at a mellow pace down a city road, and then this lady apparantly decides to make a sharp right hand turn from the left lane accross my lane (the right lane) and BAM, I hit her

Nothing I could do about it unfortunately. Lady pulled right in front of me out of nowhere, no time to stop, nothing. I lit up the front brakes as best as I could, I honked, but of course I still I just ran right into her. Bike tipped over onto it's right side, I went down with it of course, and it slide along.

Post the crash I stopped by a shop to get a quick assement on if it's still ridable. I felt confident, but I'm no mechanic. They asked some quick questions, gave it a once over, and point out some key areas to address with the adjuster. Anyways, the one thing I wanted to share with you was this... the mechanic said:

"Without that frame slider this would have been significantly worse"

So there you have it folks. Get frame sliders. Crash tested, me approved.

Oh and I'm fine. I'm not even that shook up, although I am notciably a bit more hesitant around cars. That really just shook everything up for me.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:25 AM
Banned

*bump*

I'm surprised you guys have nothing to say! Normally you're all a pretty verbose bunch!

Old 03-21-2010, 04:29 AM

Sweet!

Are there any way to hook up these sliders without drilling a big *** hole in my fairings?

Old 03-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you said you're ok jnic. That's the thing that counts Now please, please tell me a cop read her the riot act and her insurance agent came by to smack her!

People here in Philly are so bad about 2 and 3 and even 4 lanes turns I hate to say its gotten predictable. Of course they whine they didn't do anything wrong and didn't see anyone in the 4 lanes that turned through

Old 03-21-2010, 10:32 AM

was she on her mobile?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

I didn't see if she was on her cell... that would be interesting to know, and quite possible!

Anyways, the officer didn't slap her or anything. Here in Portland the police only stop by to check current documentation, and to make sure it's exchanged proprerly. They don't take any statements, they don't analyze the situation unless it's pretty severe. I wish they had though, this broad could have killed me!

Oh yeah, and let me tell you guys that **** not wearing a helmet! Every damn time I've been down I've hit my head to the point I had to get a new helmet, this time espescially. Every. Single. Time. Get a good helmet!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Nex

Glad to hear your Okay, sorry to hear about the Bike! Maybe I missed it, did you mention what Kind of Sliders you were using?

Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Banned

http://www.d2moto.com/ProductDetails...e=FS015-Carbon

Those are the frame sliders I got, although I got them from some other random company that must have become d2moto because I can't find the original company, and the box came with a 20% discount on my next order from d2moto...

Anyways, they are only $20 it turns out! Hell yeah! I didn't get the carbon looking ones (although I may this time), but they're all the same and just are made of Delrin.

For just $20 they're practically as important on this bike as a CCT or RR! Without them my bike would have been considered TOTALED due to having to replace so much of the plastics.

Oh yeah, and for those looking to buy those frame sliders, the included bolts are NOT long enough. You'll need to go to lowes hardware and get some longer grade 8.8 steel bolts, which aren't entirely cheap and run around $5 each unfortunately. If your local hardware store can get them though for less do it! 8.8 steel is 8.8 steel...

Old 03-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Banned

Oh yeah, and cutting is a must. It's extremely easy though, as they make hole saw's that coincidentalyl are the perfect width for installing a slider. What I did was place a wooden dowel in the engine mount, put the plastic on, and then marked exactly where the dowel made contact with the plastic. Then I too said hole saw, put it on my drill, and drilled out that exact spot from dead center. It worked perfect, and was a breeze to put on!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
Nex

Awesome Price on those, but I was not able to find one for the F4i. this is what I'm looking into http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/scripts...dproduct=17687 Quite a bit of a price difference, but with the importance of this part I'd rather pay more

Quick Reply: Crash tested extended frame sliders. Worth every damn penny!