F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

After cleaning carb bike runs fine & then all the sudden the engine wont start=\

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After cleaning carb bike runs fine & then all the sudden the engine wont start=\

My engine had run fine after a nice carb cleaning (just picked up the bike btw) and after riding for a week i go to start it the morning after not riding for 2 days and it starts with a little choke, and then slowly starts to die and it keeps starting and turning off until finally, no start at all. all I hear is the starter motor. any ideas that i can try? I am not a total noob so I can figure out any thing with a little advice, but I am not a guru yet so any help at all will be greatly appreciated =)

Old 09-17-2012, 12:06 AM

i miss riding my f2 already. i guess there is always gonna be a little something when buying and older bike =/ just makes me lonely when I can't ride lol

Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM

Im just gonna say it. Your making it really hard to help you guy. give me something to go off. how do your spark plugs look, how about your air intake, are your fuel-lines or vent hoses pinched anywhere? how about your battery? check your idle control? maybe you have it turned down all the way. are your float bowls siezed? can you keep the bike running while the choke is open? does it get good compression. you should get a clymers service manual. It will help you learn alot about it, and check parts to see if they are working properly. I cant help you if you dont give me more info on the matter.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with ***** - need to know what you've done/checked.

sounds to me (and ***** from the questions asked) that your carbs are basically running out of gas after they've been allowed to sit and fill up a little.

Definitely make sure the vacuum line from cylinder #1 is connected to the petcock - it won't work without it.

Could also be a plugged tank vent line causing a pressure related hydro-lock - try running the bike with the fuel cap open to test for that.

could be you don't have enough fuel in the tank to get to the normal pickup or the pickup screen is clogged. Shine a flashlight in the tank, look for trash and check your filter screen's appearance. Also - try running on reserve instead of the normal position.

check the air filter/carb venturis like ***** said, and make sure your exhaust hasn't become home to a family of ferrets or something. Bike's gotta breathe, yo.

Did the bike run well for a period of time after the carbs were cleaned - who cleaned the carbs (you or a friend or a shop)

Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM

Ferrets!!!! LOL, that could definately be the culprit!! OH and junkie I LOVE YOUR SMOKIN JOE!!!! I should have got that edition!!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MuthanLaw
Ferrets!!!! LOL, that could definately be the culprit!! OH and junkie I LOVE YOUR SMOKIN JOE!!!! I should have got that edition!!
Thanks - but the F2 never got a SJR - this bike was custom painted what was probably several owners ago - probably back when the bike was still considered new and before the F3 SJR came out. It was a great paint job, done with the fade on the tank like Duhamel's race bike was done - no orange peel, and the stickers that were on it when I bought it had all been custom made.

I bought it from an 18 year old that had dropped it a couple of times, and no telling how many other owners it has had. It was beat up and I rebuilt. Paint matching ~20 year old custom paint was a pain in the butt. I ordered a all new replica sticker kit and I think it's turned out pretty well.

Old 09-24-2012, 03:00 PM

From the picture it looks flawless. Thumbs up

Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM

Check our headers, put a little water or saliba on your finger tip and touch each header, they should be equally hot, if not then a sparkplug is likely causing your issues *which is what i think is the cause of your problems(

Did you set your mixture screws back as they were *2 or 3 turns out?

Are you carbs symched?? (open the carbs butterfly slowly and all of the small orifices should start showing at the same time).

But i put my money on the faulty plug(s).

Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 PM

sorry about the horribly late reply, I rebuilt the carburetor not so long ago, it turns out that the fuel line and jets were clogged. I guess something inside the tank was finally loosened and went into the fuel line and carb 0.o. It is a used bike after all. Thank you for all your replies

Old 10-01-2012, 08:50 PM
July 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Thanks - but the F2 never got a SJR - this bike was custom painted what was probably several owners ago - probably back when the bike was still considered new and before the F3 SJR came out. It was a great paint job, done with the fade on the tank like Duhamel's race bike was done - no orange peel, and the stickers that were on it when I bought it had all been custom made.

I bought it from an 18 year old that had dropped it a couple of times, and no telling how many other owners it has had. It was beat up and I rebuilt. Paint matching ~20 year old custom paint was a pain in the butt. I ordered a all new replica sticker kit and I think it's turned out pretty well.
heres pre SJR..

Attached Thumbnails After cleaning carb bike runs fine & then all the sudden the engine wont start=\-17scx.jpg  

Quick Reply: After cleaning carb bike runs fine & then all the sudden the engine wont start=\