F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Cam Chain Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012 | 01:46 PM
|
Default Cam Chain Issue

Hey everyone,

My F2 is starting to develop that clicking sound near the engine. From what I read on this forum, it is normally associated with the CCT failing. So I am thinking about purchasing the APE manual CCT to resolve the issue but someone brought up another possible issue: the cam chain itself. He told me that the cam chain could be stretched to the point where it needs replacing. Is this true? Does it wear out like the chain for the rear wheel? How can I tell if the current CCT is functioning correctly so I can rule that issue out? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2012 | 02:40 PM

I would 'Highly' suggest starting only with the CCT first. Tighten all the way down, then 2/3rds of a turn backing it out. If your problem persists(not likely it would if you have stock oem CCt) then it would probabley be a good idea to replace. But you would need to pull the motor to get to the cam chain and made sure it was line up on the crank wheel with the cams timing. You can half-*** it on the bike, but I would never suggest that to anyone!

Old 03-15-2012 | 10:06 PM
|

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to order my APE manual CCT tomorrow. When I do the turn increments on the CCT, do I have to shut the engine off, turn the CCT, and turn it back on? Or can I keep it on as I turn the CCT until the sound goes away? Sorry, just a newb question and still learning the ins and outs of bikes.

Old 03-16-2012 | 12:09 AM

It is definitely possible to change the cam chain without pulling the engine. I would rather do it on the bike rather than go to the trouble of pulling the engine from the frame to change it.

I would suggest trying the manual CCT before you change the chain itself, but it is possible that the chain has stretched some.

Old 03-16-2012 | 07:18 AM

Ace, make sure the bike is off! If that bike is running and not have a tight cct, it is likely the chain might jump a tooth and valves will be destroyed. That is another entire mess that will cost more than it is worth.

Old 03-16-2012 | 08:33 AM

I have a spare ape cct, came with my new motor but I had one on the other soo 20 bucks an It's yours

Old 03-16-2012 | 08:45 AM
|

Originally Posted by underground-mpyre
Ace, make sure the bike is off! If that bike is running and not have a tight cct, it is likely the chain might jump a tooth and valves will be destroyed. That is another entire mess that will cost more than it is worth.
Thank you for clearing that up! I'm so glad I asked, or else you guys would see another thread from me with a more serious issue.

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
I have a spare ape cct, came with my new motor but I had one on the other soo 20 bucks an It's yours
PM sent.

Old 03-16-2012 | 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
I tried pming you but it wouldn't work ill take that extra cct. I got paypal waiting so just let me know.

Old 03-16-2012 | 10:51 AM

Okay, what's a "CCT"? Cam Chain Tightener?

Old 03-16-2012 | 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
I tried pming you but it wouldn't work ill take that extra cct. I got paypal waiting so just let me know.
Ah my bad, lol he already called it

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Issue