F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

burning plugs way too fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning plugs way too fast

i can't get my 93 cbr 600 f2 to run unless it has brand new plugs, but as soon as i get close to red line the bike loses power like it running off two cylinders. then stalls. then wont start untill i change plugs.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you're treating the symptoms and not the problem. If the bike keeps fouling plugs, putting new plugs in isn't fixing why the plugs are fouling.

What do the plugs look like when you pull them out? And how often are you redlining your bike?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:11 AM

your mains (or more) are lean/rich. wet/dark plugs are rich, white/crusty are lean.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
your mains (or more) are lean/rich. wet/dark plugs are rich, white/crusty are lean.

You keep posting and you keep leaving me with the impression you don't know what you're talking about. Espescially since you don't provide solutions. The pilots could also be off just as much as the mains, it's stupid easy to back those screws out halfway to west africa.

Anyways, post a picture of your plugs. Also, when riding, do you get popping on decel? Any funny noises or habits on accel? What's the exhaust system, what's the air filter, and has it been jetted?

Give us that information, and we can give you a direction in which to proceed.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM

the plugs are wet and black as night. the bike has only ran once for about 5mins with those plugs. i can't tell you about any noise or back fire because i've never ridin it. i need to get it running before i can ride it. sorry to be a pain. this bike had sat for 3 years before i got to it. when i got this bike the first things before trying to start it were. new gas, gas line, plugs, uni air filter, oil, oil filter, ect... do you think i need new rings? or have leaky valves? another thought was to get a jet kit or get new carbs.

Attached Thumbnails burning plugs way too fast-spark.jpg   burning plugs way too fast-more-bike-001.jpg  
Old 10-11-2010, 09:59 PM

I "stored" my f2 for several years. I had to replace floats, float valves, and petcock before I could get my bike to run properly. If it has just "sat" for three years you need to clean out your carbs for sure. The floats are plastic and bend of their own weight without gas to support them. The rubber tips on the valves get dented from the valve seat and don't seal totally. The petcock diaphragm gave up the ghost too. Sitting around is rough on any motorized vehicle, much less a high performance engine.

Check your oil too, as it is highly likely you are flooding out. The gas will go past the rings and thin out your oil. You'll smell it.

Stored=cleaned, drained, and covered.
Sat=stuff in tank, oil sitting, coolant breaking down. Clean, clean some more.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by JesseAwesome
You keep posting and you keep leaving me with the impression you don't know what you're talking about. Espescially since you don't provide solutions. The pilots could also be off just as much as the mains, it's stupid easy to back those screws out halfway to west africa.
You can take your ignorant comments and go somewhere else. Especially because you have no clue what you are talking about. Rich pilots won't cut your bike out at redline. Not to mention I said his "mains (or more)" leaving open the fact that he could have multiple jets out of whack. I only wrote one sentence, perhaps take the time to read the full thing before being rude?

Old 10-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by McSpreadum
the plugs are wet and black as night. the bike has only ran once for about 5mins with those plugs. i can't tell you about any noise or back fire because i've never ridin it. i need to get it running before i can ride it. sorry to be a pain. this bike had sat for 3 years before i got to it. when i got this bike the first things before trying to start it were. new gas, gas line, plugs, uni air filter, oil, oil filter, ect... do you think i need new rings? or have leaky valves? another thought was to get a jet kit or get new carbs.
Seeing as how it sat for 3 years you need to change your oil and do a thorough carb cleaning at the least, your floats could be stuck, and/or whoever owned it before could have done some poor tuning, which happens often. I wrote a guide on carb cleaning that is a sticky on this forum, read through it.