F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Bike idling with choke on, dies when applying throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bike is finally running without dying now. I ended up cleaning out the jets again, and also changed out the spark plugs since I needed to anyway.

But right now, the idle fluctuates and is hard to control... After the bike was completely warmed up, I took it out for a ride. 15+ miles in total, with a mixture of freeway and local. I can take completely disengage the choke without having the bike sputter out and die.

But when I come to a stop on local roads, I notice the engine either idles much too high, or much too low. During my stops at red lights, I tried a couple of times to adjust the idle screw. But every time I turn the screw, even by tiny amounts, the idle seems to jump to a rpm either too high (like 4k-5k) or too low (less than 1k). I can't seem to get the bike adjusted properly to the right idle rpm.

I figure the next thing I have to do is probably check to see if I routed the cables correctly, and if there's proper slack on the throttle/choke cables. I also want to do the carb sync that was suggested, and maybe even a check valve clearances - since I'm not sure when that was done last.

I've been thinking about building my own sync tool, but vacuum gauges don't seem to be all that expensive on ebay. Has anyone tried using these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Carbu...motiveQ5fTools

Also... what kind of adapters do you need to hook up these lines to the vacuum ports? The kit says it comes with:

2 x 180mm (M5xP0.8) Brass Extension
2 x 65mm (M5xP0.8) Brass Extension

Would that work on the F2?

Thanks for all the great advice!

Old 11-22-2011, 01:08 PM

This post is a bit late, but I finally sorted out the problems on my bike!

I know it's been awhile since I last replied to this post, but I figured maybe it'll help someone else out.

So two things ended up solving all of my problems.

1. Make sure those pilot jets are not clogged!!!! - I know, everyone says it on this forum and I definitely thought mine were clean. But after I used a very thin strand of wire and passed it through the openings, the bike fired up back again strong and revving out of control. I turned the idle screw down maybe 6-7 turns and it was idling perfectly, around 1,400 without stalling (I have a CA model). I believe the jets were clogged and I turned up the idle screw way too high to compensate which threw everything else out of whack.

2. Make sure the carb boots are securely attached!!! - Again, one of those things everyone tells you to double check, but could be easily missed. I was tightening the carb boot clamps on cylinders #3 and #4 with a stubby screwdriver, which made it difficult to get the carb boots tightened correctly. I suggest buying this set from harbor freight 2 Piece Super Long Screwdriver Set . It's only $5.

Anyway, the combination of these two things fixed things for me, so I hope this helps out someone else!

Old 07-14-2017, 11:57 AM
Default 88 cbr 600

Hey guys im an owner of an r1 and a cbr f4i, but just bought an 88 cbr 600 street fighter, got carbs put back on, but bike wont start withought choke, and if no choke she dies, choke on half way rpms rise give a littke throttle to a lot of throttle and doesnt seen to raise rpms, only when choke is fully ingaged and screenimg loud i can apply all the throttle i want and she opens up like a demon, turn choke back down and sh dies again trying to save it with throttle hellp please, im good with carbs but dont know were to start

Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clifford Taylor
Hey guys im an owner of an r1 and a cbr f4i, but just bought an 88 cbr 600 street fighter, got carbs put back on, but bike wont start withought choke, and if no choke she dies, choke on half way rpms rise give a littke throttle to a lot of throttle and doesnt seen to raise rpms, only when choke is fully ingaged and screenimg loud i can apply all the throttle i want and she opens up like a demon, turn choke back down and sh dies again trying to save it with throttle hellp please, im good with carbs but dont know were to start
My suggestion would be to read the thread above, follow the steps suggested, and see what happens. It is probably the pilot jets.

Also, as someone new 1) welcome to the forum and 2) generally a good idea to start a new thread if you have questions on something that was being discussed six years ago rather than resurrecting a thread this old.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:18 PM

After reading all of the posts I was able to correct the same issue on my bike too! Pilot Jets.......

It's always the pilot jets!