F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

well its been a month...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking well its been a month...

I purchased a 1993 CBR 600 F2 about a month ago that wasn't running. It was 650 dollars and it was the first motorcycle that i have ever worked on, but i had the riding bug bad and i wanted to get out on the streets. The first thing i did was give it an oil change, changed out the spark plugs, and rebuilt the carb. this was a long processes and the bike still didn't start, it however was turning over so that was a good sign. yesterday was my first major victory though, i put a few drops of gas in the air intake of the carbs and she came to life, looks like now i just need a new petcock or bypass it somehow. anyways I just wanted to say hi to the community and hopefully ill be riding on the streets soon! https://cbrforum.com/forum/images/sm...icon_party.gif

Old 07-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brand new from Honda petcocks are expensive as heck, about 1/3 as much as you paid for the bike. Used ones, you never know what you're getting. Same with the cheap new one from China. You could check yours first to make sure thats your problem, remove the tank with the petcock still installed, make sure there is fuel in the tank and the breather hose is not blocked off (the one that allows air into the tank so fuel can flow out of the tank). Put a rag or cup under the fuel outlet of the petcock, turn the valve vertical, ON or RES, doesnt matter as long as its not horizontal=OFF. Now the little hose from the petcock that ran to the number 1 cylinder is the one that provided the vacuum to operate the petcock, SUCK ON IT, fuel should flow as long as the valve is vertical and the breather is not clogged or pinched. If fuel dont flow, open the gas cap and try again, that would let you know if the breather was clogged or not. But with all posiblitys exhausted, open cap, unclogged breather, and vertical position of the valve, and you sucking on the little hose, and fuel does not flow, then that would indicate a bad petcock. Honda sells a petcock rebuild kit for around $40 I believe, you'd have to drill out the rivets to get it apart but I bet it would last longer than a petcock from China. Unless someone chimes in who has had one from China that been on their bike for a while.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:24 PM

Thank you ill make sure to try that after work, if it doesn't ill look into the rebuild kit.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could leave the tank on the bike and test the petcock like I said but you would need to disconnect the fuel line from the carbs so you could see if the fuel is flowing, even if the petcock valve is in the vertical position ON or RES, fuel should not flow until you suck on the little hose. If you take the tank off the bike or if it is already off the bike just prop it up on boards or crate etc to simulate the position of it being on the bike.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:04 PM

any updates on this petcock issue?