F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

Alright! Time to get to work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 04:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alright! Time to get to work!

ALRIGHT GUYS! I am so excited... I've got a meet up to get to in... about a month. My motorcycle, a 1992 CBR600F2, I thought she was totaled... but you know what! she has just seen better days, that's all. I frikkin love this bike, she's my first, and hopefully not my last. But here, I'll get to my questions!

Alright guys, so after some quick inspection over her the last couple days... it appears I have a... 'slight' bit of work to say the LEAST, cut out for me. I am almost SURE her frame isn't bent... (but I can get it straightened at a shop anyway even if she is... ) However, the work that needs done, I destroyed her one and only fairing left in the wreck, the front fairing. So, first thing she needs is a new headlight, preferably something like a regular harley headlight, y'know, nothing crazy, but I don't know how to wire that!

In fact, I'm not even sure I have the wiring for the normal headlight still attached to the bike... so what things do I have to make sure of before I go screwing with that??

Next, the throttle grip, and the throttle tube, were completely snapped off, so I need 1. a new throttle tube, and 2. a new throttle grip. I don't think the handlebar was harmed, just the tube and grip, so therefore, I must need new grips, or rather a replacement one for the one I ripped off, after I get the new tube on that beautiful young lady of course.

After that, MY entire, right side control is ripped off, just kinda hanging on the side, (yes that includes the throttle housing so I might need to replace that too... ) of course that includes my electric start, and killswitch...

Now, with that being said, the electrical is for some reason almost perfect, electricity still gets to the whole bike (which I find odd I suppose), the tail light works, the nuetral light, etc. (no turn signals (those were ripped off) and obviously the high beams don't work, the headlight as I said is gone), HOWEVER! In the month I had the bike, she killed TWO batteries. Between 10-60 miles on both batteries she killed them, so is it her stator? Or her voltage regulator? should I change both while I'm working on her?

Now, just a couple more miscellaneous questions -

How much is the typical cost for a stator suitable for a 1992 F2?
and
How in the hell?!?! Do I go about mounting that new headlight, and the gauges that I do put back on.

See, with the instrument cluster, with there being NO front fairing left, it needs to be taken completely off, because now it hangs there, and I can't turn my handlebars (because of the wiring and the cluster kinda hanging in the way of the turn, not cause they're screwed up). Should I keep all my gauges? Or should I get an in-diglo speedo and tach? Or should I keep the ones I have? How hard are they to mount and re-wire?

Keep in mind I wanna do this within a month, so yeah...

ANY HELP YOU GUYS CAN OFFER WILL BE READ, AND APPRECIATED!!

Thank you so much everybody!

- - Goloth

Old 05-16-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Goloth
In fact, I'm not even sure I have the wiring for the normal headlight still attached to the bike... so what things do I have to make sure of before I go screwing with that??

Next, the throttle grip, and the throttle tube, were completely snapped off, so I need 1. a new throttle tube, and 2. a new throttle grip. I don't think the handlebar was harmed, just the tube and grip, so therefore, I must need new grips, or rather a replacement one for the one I ripped off, after I get the new tube on that beautiful young lady of course.

After that, MY entire, right side control is ripped off, just kinda hanging on the side, (yes that includes the throttle housing so I might need to replace that too... ) of course that includes my electric start, and killswitch...

Now, with that being said, the electrical is for some reason almost perfect, electricity still gets to the whole bike (which I find odd I suppose), the tail light works, the nuetral light, etc. (no turn signals (those were ripped off) and obviously the high beams don't work, the headlight as I said is gone), HOWEVER! In the month I had the bike, she killed TWO batteries. Between 10-60 miles on both batteries she killed them, so is it her stator? Or her voltage regulator? should I change both while I'm working on her?

Now, just a couple more miscellaneous questions -

How much is the typical cost for a stator suitable for a 1992 F2?
and
How in the hell?!?! Do I go about mounting that new headlight, and the gauges that I do put back on.

See, with the instrument cluster, with there being NO front fairing left, it needs to be taken completely off, because now it hangs there, and I can't turn my handlebars (because of the wiring and the cluster kinda hanging in the way of the turn, not cause they're screwed up). Should I keep all my gauges? Or should I get an in-diglo speedo and tach? Or should I keep the ones I have? How hard are they to mount and re-wire?

- - Goloth
Mr. Cycle is your friend in this case. They have all OEM parts for descent prices. As far as the stator/RR goes, replace them both. Find a downloadable shop manual and dig in. Best of luck.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Thanks hoosier, I'll check it out. Any other replies would be a mass of helpful guys! thanks!

P.S.

With a closer inspection, I will not have to replace my throttle housing, just the Killswitch, and the starter switch was tweaked too, so probably that. BUT I AM SO HAPPY IT'S NOT COMPLETELY SHATTERED!! YES!!

Last edited by Goloth; 05-16-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:57 AM

bump...

Old 05-30-2010, 01:08 PM

I'd say get a manual and read all you can on here and get to it. I've had my wreck for two years and still can't get her right. Swapped just about everything on it and still not happy with how she runs.

Attached Thumbnails Alright! Time to get to work!-009.jpg