F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

'94 F2 sat for 2 years, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there,

I would highly suggest a project bike. It has been very informative and interesting actually seeing how things are working. The thing that's great is that for most, a motorcycle is the second mode of transportation so there isnt the stress of HAVING to get things figured out. I've really enjoyed going out there with my tool box with a couple beers or some sodas and just seeing what i could do. My next step is to get new spark plugs but I am not putting money into the bike until I pay off my debts so I'm doing everything I can until that happens.
Also, I have found people on these forums to be incredibly swell and eager to help. People go above and beyond and like you, check in on progress and all that good stuff. And there is a plethora of information on here... nearly any "how to" you might need to glance at.
So i say GO FOR IT!
(i actually had a dream last night that I got her running...!)

Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM

Appreciate the reply but it got sold before I got a chance to offer lol. Oh well.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 AM

Well, I changed out the spark plugs and still was not getting any spark. I'm not too sure what to try next at this point. Do you guys/gals have any suggestions? Thanks so much!

Old 04-02-2010, 12:46 PM

So, I've been reading and figured a good place to start was at the coils. I've got a voltage reader but I am not sure how to actually check the coils. Where do i place the reader prongs and all that? Anyone come across any in depth "how to" regarding this?

Old 04-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Default fixing it...

Check the resistance across the coils. If any of them are massively different, that's bad.

Now for some silly Q's. Is it in neutral? The bike will stop itself if the stand is down and it's not in neutral.

If you have a timing light, you can use it to detect spark across a coil wire while everything is put together.

I use a plug to test myself. I wrap some stripped wire around the threads of the plug and connect the other end to ground. Then you can test spark with it. If you just stick it against some metal, you may not be getting enough ground to prove that there is a problem.

The trigger to the coil is pulsed 12-14v dc. you can put an analog meter on this and look for the oscillation.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Banned

Disconnect the coil entirely. There's the leads heading out to the spark plugs, and then two smaller wires. Those smaller wires are the + and - feed. Check accross there. That's where your reading aughta be. Check for resistance and compare it to specs in the manual.

Also, as far as kill switch is concerned VS nuetrul and kickstand down, a faulty (or off) kill switch would allow the motor to turn, but not start. A bike with the kickstand down in first won't turn over at all. With the bike in first it won't turn with the clutch out, and if your bike is turning over that aught to be an easy switch to test. The kickstand in first should be easy to test as well. All that leaves is the kill switch.

Personally, I'd do the following:
-Do stupid check on kill switches per paragraph above. If nothing is notciably wrong...
-Check fuses, if fine then...
-Check relay/solenoid(not sure what F2 has, I forget). If fine then...
-Check coils. If fine then...
-Change spark plugs. If not starting still then...
-Check spark plug wires. If fine then...
-Bypass kill switch...
-Call some one who has some other genius idea I didn't think of. Perhaps R/R???