F2 Tech Tech Subsection (for any mechanical, repair, and DIY threads)

'94 F2 sat for 2 years, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 F2 sat for 2 years, wont start

OK, so I acquired a '94 F2 about two weeks ago that had been sitting at my buddies for about 2 years! Before it sat, it ran strong and there wasnt really anything major( aside from aesthetics ) wrong with it. I never worked on my old bike but i thought it would be fun to learn, so i took it off his hands for 500 big ones! (he just purchased a GSX-r) Since it was running two years ago, i thought I could get it up and running for relatively low cost, if any at all.

Here's the issue:
She turns over just fine but nothing fires. I dont know how to tell if the vacuum system is working or if the petcock is faulty, but it doesnt seem like any fuel (the new fuel that i put in after draining the old) is getting through to the carbs. (i took them out and cleaned them...but they really were already pretty clean. No residue or old fuel sitting around anywhere) I pulled out the spark plugs to see if I was getting spark and from what I could tell, I wasnt, but I def. need new plugs. I'm not sure what all of that means?

Here's what I've done:
Cleaned carbs
Checked for spark (there wasnt any)
Changed the fuel
Made sure vacuum hose running from petcock to carbs was connected properly

So, im not sure what my problem is! Any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jhight10; 03-22-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Banned

I'd start with what you do know versus worrying about checking for stuff you don't know. You aren't getting spark at the spark plugs. Start there and work your way back.

Your problem most likely lies there.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:46 PM

Yeah, that makes more sense than trying to do everything at once! ha Thanks!

Old 03-22-2010, 08:54 PM

I don't want to risk insulting you by telling you something you already know, but it's better to risk that than sending you off on a wild goose chase about the electrical system.

When you tested the plugs, did you make sure to ground the plugs when you pushed the starter? This means touching the prong of a plug to the metal of the engine. The prong needs to be grounded in order for a potential to exist and a spark to form.

If you tested spark correctly and there's no spark on any of the four plugs, then you probably have a problem with the pulser (in the right-side engine cover), the pulser's connection, the CDI ignition module, or the coils. Is there another part to the system I'm forgetting? Oh, alternatively something could be wrong with the kill switch, causing the ignition system to always be grounded, resulting in a constant "kill" position.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:22 AM

I always found it silly that the starter will let you crank away with the kill switch set to off.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzyBear
I always found it silly that the starter will let you crank away with the kill switch set to off.
+1.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:20 PM

ahhhh! I knew enough to touch the plug to the block, but I was not aware that the prongs had to be touching! Thanks for that gem of advice As for the killswitch topic... if it is faulty, it will still let the engine crank as if it were actually going to run?
Thanks again for all the advice!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:38 PM

Wait! No, the two "prongs" should not be touching -- there should be a gap. But the bottom-most piece should be touching the block when you hit the starter in order to get a spark.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 PM

And yes, a faulty kill switch will still allow the engine to crank.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM

Just curious...how did this turn out? I am thinking about doing the same thing you are, getting a little project to build my first bike.

Whats the status?

Quick Reply: '94 F2 sat for 2 years, wont start