F2 Media You got pics or vids of your classic CBR ... post 'em here

My Repsol themed rebuild.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Repsol themed rebuild.

Hey guys (and girls?). I'm not exactly new on here, just don't post much. Anyway, I bought my first ever bike, the one you see here, last summer. She's a 94 F2 (duh) and when I bought her OH MAN did I buy a project.

Pretty damn sexy right? It's easier to list the things that weren't wrong with it, but more fun to list the things that were. So here's a pretty good breakdown.

-The original owners had decided that they wanted a black bike. So they spray painted it. Did they take the fairings off? Noooo of course not, far too much work. The funny looking black runs on the frame is overspray (overrun?), not dirt.
-The chain was custom rust color.
-It has been dropped more than a few times, a few at speed. But that's ok, I dropped it twice myself my first day on it lol.
-The wiring was an AWFUL mess. Rec/reg didn't work (do they ever?) and bike hard started.
-And last but not least. The original owners wanted to play music while they rode. So, instead of an ipod and headphones, they tried installing a radio and speaker into the back seat. Dead serious.

However, bike has always run great and doesn't leak fluids. It shifts fine and the brakes and wheelbearings were all good. $700 and it was mine.

I started by rewiring everything that I could see off hand that was bad. Found that the 3 wires coming out of the alternator were all melted together at the fusebox. Fixed that. I used a GSXR 1000 Rec/reg as a replacement and wired that all in. Fixed all of the engine sensors, and rewired all of the lights. Drove it around for a little while, and got tired of it looking like ***. So...

I bought Repsol look-a-like fairings from ebay and put them on. They looked much better... but I still wasn't really happy with it. Winter came, and the bike came inside. So, I tore it apart.

Like my ghetto stands? LOL. It's whatever, they worked.

Funny thing is, this all started with an oil change. Pulled one fairing off, next thing I know I'm looking at it like this. Anyway, color change time.

Much-o better. It's just brushed on paint, I really didn't see the point in going crazy with a nearly 20 year old bike. If it was an RR or something it would be powdercoated, but a scratched up $700 bike? Nah.

Things I did up to here.

-Painted the frame/swingarm/random brackets black.
-Began re-rewiring the bike. (I'm stupid **** about wiring by the way).
-Tore down each individual part completely, reconditioned, greased (if needed), and reassembled. The rear brake pedal was so rusted it wouldn't even move and it didn't come back up if it did. Nice huh?

Moving to reassembly now.

Hey, a little color.

-Bike wiring had been completely redone at this point, including relocating my HID control box to under the gas tank and extending the ballast wires to reach to the front correctly. (DDM 6000K 55watt). It's a lot of stuff to cram up in that front fairing stay, let me tell you.
-New grips. **** gave me blisters like you wouldn't believe trying to put them on.
-Anything that wasn't painted was stripped of the overspray (like the forks and headlight).
-Suspension and foot pedal assemblies were reinstalled.

But, it wouldn't be much of a Repsol look a like with some more flamboyant wheels now would it.

Not bad for some Lowes spray paint lol. Wheels are BRIGHT, iPhone makes them look dull.

I also started putting the body work back on. Which sucks *** really, I hate bodywork stuff. Unfortunately my front fairing stay was bent, so I ordered another one off ebay and THAT was one was also bent, so I just said forget it and tried straightening it out as best as possible. But unfortunately it does make the already rough fitting fairings that much more of a pain to put on.

I love this picture, reminds me of a Ducati Monster.

Anyway, got new tires on it. Michelin Power 2CTs. So far, love them, but I don't have much to compare them to. Everything is pretty much back together here, just needs some fairings and it's done.

Oh, PS. I changed the stator cover... and it bit me back. Cut my knuckle to the bone while trying to get the coil out. Nasty!

And here's the final result. I'll have to get better pictures soon.

What do you guys think? I'd say I'm about $2,300 in total at this point.

I was finally able to take it for a ride yesterday to see if it had anything I needed to fix. All in all it felt pretty good, only have two minor problems. The first is the right front caliper and rotor seem to get together as if it were warped, but it's not. I'm thinking either the pad didn't seat quite right or the rotor didn't seat on the wheel quite right when I had them balanced.

The other problem is the starter stopped working all together (which was awesome, trying to popstart the bike at the gym with some hot chick watching amused is super embarrassing!). I suspect the battery being the issue, but I have yet to look into it.

Anyway, sorry about the long post.

Cliffs - Bought bike. It sucked, so I made it suck less. I think.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:43 PM

Amazing. One word describes it all.

I almost **** a brick when I saw the painted rims and how well it tied the Repsol theme in. Nice work man. May I ask how much you paid for in the rebuild? One thing I think you should have done was taken off the labels on the swingarm but other than that...DAMN

Old 02-24-2011, 05:59 PM

Haha, now that you point that out, consider them gone. I didn't even think about it, but you're right, they are ugly as sin aren't they.

I guess I'll put up a mod list real fast.

-Ebay Repsol themed fairings
-new stator cover
-"upped" gearing kit, gold 520 RKchain and vector sprockets. (I think it's +1 fr +2 rear)
-DDM HIDs 6000K
-Michelin Power 2CTs front and rear
-D&D Exhaust (scratched up so I painted it black to hide some of it)
-random ebay mirrors and grips are on there. Some CNC orange levers are in the mail too
-Soon to get a new seat.
-Some random stuff, clips, little odds and ends. Paint, and lots of time.

Like I said, I have maybe just over 2K in the whole thing including the bike. So it's not a deep pocket bike, it's more me just trying to have attention to detail than anything else.

Thanks for the compliments man! Much appreciated!

Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM

Looks really good

Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 AM

Sexy. What was the hardest part for you?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great! good work!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by DagonRais
Sexy. What was the hardest part for you?
Thanks guys!

Hardest part, hmm... I'd have to say getting the fairings to fit. Being as the lines begin with the front fairing stay and move back, and the front fairing stay being bent, it threw the rest of the lines/mounting locations off. So it took a lot of wiggling, drilling, mounting and unmounting, and fiddling to get it to all fit right. I dread taking them off again.

Other than that, nothing too difficult, but I'm not sure most people are as comfortable with wiring as I am. That's kind of my thing.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 AM

hi quick question did the tank come sprayed, or did you have to go out of your way to find somewhere to spray it, because i want a kit for my f4, but for some reason no tank cover is included, so i'll have to spray the old one i guess, or find a blank :S UK resident. But any idea?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Wow! Very nice work. Great looking machine...

Last edited by YankeeBravo; 03-10-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: can't type...
Old 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, that is one heckuva restoration.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Repsol themed rebuild.