Drag Racing Raced a guy from a light? Been to a night at the track?? Tell your story here.

Launching

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Launching

I dont hold it at one rpm i rev it between to mid and high and feather the clutch out. I meen it works for me i have only been the the 1/8 mile but i ran a 6.98 so that shows something. Just do what works with your style and have fun..

Old 10-12-2006, 01:31 AM

i got a 06 600 and i leave at 12 5 all the time. its all about slipin the clutch . i mean some ppl say that the stock clutch wount handel but iv been on my stock one since march and all i ever realy go though is 1st fiber. but it dose help if u got the bike lowerd and straped that will help . and if u plane on keepin the bike for a long time then u can get a longer arm if u want that will help to.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:54 PM

i have a 056rr and i kinda launch between 4-7000 rpms. and feather the clutch threw first and jam it hard in second and third it works really good for me. but i guess you have to just run as many time as you need to get it down with your own bike.. ken

Old 10-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cross post: https://cbrforum.com/m_168133/tm.htm

Just to add to all of what's been said (I hope).

The basic way to go fast is to get the most horsepower to the ground as you possibly can without doing a massive wheelie.

First you need the most horsepower being created by the engine - that's why people say rev the engine to such and such an RPM. It's true you want more revs, but to maintain your revs your throttle hand must move. As you add load to the engine you will need to give more throttle to maintain those high rpms. Don't let the power drop as that will only slow you down.

To get the power to the ground you have to feather the clutch. Think of it as a tap, the more you open it the more you allow down to the road. Don't let the clutch out too quickly - you will either loose horsepower or lift a wheelie. Neither help you go fast. Don't let it out too slow or you'll sit there going nowhere - a safer but none-the-less ineffective racing strategy.

Next - the more you put to the road, the more you load you engine. Keep giving it more and more throttle to keep the horsepower up DESPITE the added load to the engine.

Once you've got the clutch full out and the throttle full on it's going to be milliseconds before you need to shift to 2nd.

After the shift to second, perfect the tuck, and run her out through each gear.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:07 AM

i could really launch hard wherever, but to be perfectly honest its really not good for the bike and if your bike has ***** it has ***** and a 5k launch is sufficiant if all the power is getting to the ground. i know with my stretch bike if i launched it at above 6k the tire would light up and not stop, though if i was using a pilot power or shinko drag tires that would probabaly stop LOL.

Old 10-30-2006, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the 600 - 5k is about as high as you can get and dump the clutch. Problem is that you stay down in the low revs after launch longer than you need/want to. If you want to go really fast, however, you need to get the revs up and keep them up. Sure we both put the same power down (me feathering the clutch, you using the throttle) for the first few feet - however - you at that point need to roll on the throttle to create power, I just need to keep feathering... I'm going to eat my bike up in short order, but it will be faster in the short term

Do I launch like this? Maybe twice a year on the street when I really want the hole shot Elsewhere? sure on occiasion...

Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 AM

dumpin at 5 will just make you bog. slip from 4 to 6... i get 1.6 60 foots. you should be able too also..with out killing that poor bike.

Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 AM

I need to learn how to launch too. I just got beat by my friend 05 kaws 626 with full titanium mizzu exhausht and 03 kaws 626 lowered w/ yosh slip on and k&n air filter. I have 05 cbrRR with yosh slip on. I was so mad coz I always left behind when I launched. I'm gonna try on 5Krpm next time.
Also does anyone always shift gear witout the clutch? Even it is up or down shift? My friend told me it will also make your clutch last longer. Is this true? When I tried to shift up and down without the clutch, it's kinda hard to shift. Does anyone has any input on this?

Old 11-27-2006, 04:21 AM

Maybe the kawa's had a 10cc big bore kit that they didnt tell you about.

IMO, need like 11k+ and a good feel for the clutch.

Maybe some ankle weights velcroed around your forks too.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:12 AM

So basically if kaws 626 and cbr600rr race stock to stock...kaws will win?

Quick Reply: Launching