Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wind screen

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wind screen

how do you get the scuffs out of the wind screen

Old 05-02-2006, 06:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: wind screen

c...v, well, heres my meager experiance... first, CLEAN YOUR SCREEN !!!!!!!
some screens seam to have a "coating", if yours does... leave it or be ready to romove all of it !!!!!! Next consideration, how deep??? slight scuffs, are erasable, even medium depth, but may cause distortion, dependinding on whereand your patiance.
what your trying to do, is remove enough area around the scuff to make it a fresh unblemished area again. alot like body work but there is no filler material. So... is it a reasonable depth???, can you really catch a finger nail??? I've never paid more than 35$ for a new one, on e-bay( got 3),'cause thats get'n deep, and canleed to the above mentioned distortion.
if its uncoated (most are, i think) and shallow, i use a cheap car buffer/waxer(obital type only) and a paint color coat restoror, I know, maguiers makes a plastic polish and restoror, i have found this stuff is great for the last step befor waxing, as it's very fine. I use the paint stuff, as it's faily course ( no dupont red). a good amount as to not dry out imediatly, buff, for about a min., and wipe clean to see if it's headed toword the desired result. if not... you may have to hand sand w/ 1000 grt. wet and dry, use a block water w/ a spooge ow dawn and don't groove it. pretend ,you are "speading the scratch out", wipe regularly, to see progress. Be looking for any "foriegn feeling" grit, as it will add to your labor. After the paper return topaint restor polish, then a plastic polish, than wax. I blend the scratches into a 3" to 5+" surounding area( blending the distortion) and if you feel comfortable ,in your buffer technique, i hit the whole thing, at the plastic polish stage, then wax. good luck, you can do it!!!!!!!! There are air craft plexiglass restorors out there, but the cost ,i believe, would be more than replacement. I'd love to get a black opaque, 2" shorter from "gufstafson plastics", they will make you any size, - "/ +" and color. Kind of spendy, but superior plastics, ie. product.
if your like me ,you have partial cotainers, of many cleaners, resotors, waxes. try a dab. Be careful of petroliums... I use the same restoration methods on visors. Clean and free, Ripp'n