Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning a titanium exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning a titanium exhaust?

I recently put a bronze titanium FMF exhaust on my F4 and I love the way it looks but after riding the bike in the rain the other day the finish looks all marred like water spots. It does not seem to want to come off with soap and water. What cleaners are safe for bringing the shine back to a titanium can? windex? wd-40?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:16 PM

No one has a titanium exhaust?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:49 AM

I found this on a Akrapovic Exhaust site

Maintenance and cleaning.

It is very important to clean the exhaust system thoroughly after installation, as any dirt or debris will later be burned into the exhaust system. A contact cleaner can be used to clean the pipes, while for the titanium muffler outer sleeve we recommend using a multi-purpose spray lubricant (WD-40 or equivalent). The carbon-fiber outer sleeve should be wiped with a soft dry cloth.

WARNING:
Do not use automotive wheel cleaners or any cleaning products which contain acidic additives to clean the front rosettes of Akrapovic Bolt-On exhaust systems.
If such cleaning products are used damage occurs in the form of corrosion of the ALU front rosette, which leads to the breakage of the inner flange which the muffler outer sleeve is attached to.

In order to get rid of dirt and buildup more easily, such cleaners contain acids which react with, i.e. eat into, the surface. The reaction gradually increases over time, which has a major effect on aluminum, which is very susceptible to the effects of acids. The compound of aluminum, acid and water leads to the creation of the galvanic effect, which results in even greater damage. This problem is especially acute because the flange in question cannot be thoroughly sprayed with water and dried. At first the damage is undetectable, but the chemical reaction continues unseen.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:50 AM

Hope that helps.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:43 PM

Thanks, I did end up using WD-40 but I gave it a good soap and water rinse after and it really shined it up. I am still not sure if wd-40 residue left on an exhaust would be a good idea as it may be flamable, right?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:38 AM

no it isn't flammable, youre good to go

Old 12-23-2010, 06:47 PM

I have a yoshimura rs1 on my f4i. It's satin finish titanium.....I was going to chop it down a bit but the strap made a mark where it was mounted so if I cut it down you will see the mark. Anyone ever cleaned or polished it before?

Old 10-08-2017, 04:27 PM

I use WD-40 on Ti exhaust.