Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake dust/chain lube

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: brake dust/chain lube

nice red rag. 75 for 7.99 @ kragen.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like motul, i use it on all my chain drivin toys, never had a problem

Old 11-30-2007, 02:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Glocker23

ORIGINAL: Grady

I use that Honda spray on cleaning compound for that. I spray it on the rim and wipe it with a rag and it comes right off! That stuff is great, it cleans everything including road grime with little to no effort. Its cheap and 1 can has lasted me like 4 months. Should be able to get it at your local Honda store.
+1. Honda spary will take anything that doesn't belong on yer bike right the hell off!!!
+2. Good stuff

Old 12-26-2007, 09:11 PM

mean green cleaner. environmentally/paint friendly. takes off grease, dust etc. cheap.

wd-40 to clean chain, spray, use chain brush and wipe clean. finish with teflon or other "dry" lube. stuff is amaizing. spray on and 5 min later chain is dry ready to go and no fling off.

Old 12-26-2007, 09:43 PM

To clean the rims:

Abiodegradeable degreaser like Purple Power or Simple Green works great.

I hose the rims first with water then spray the degreaser on after, one at a time.

Put on my yellow dish gloves (cuz I'm a sensitive guy), a fewdamprags and go to town.

I go so far as to spray degreaser and scrub the sidewalls of the tires with a nylon brush.

To clean the chain:

Liberally apply WD-40 and scrub with a nylon brush on all surfaces.

Wipe excess offwith a sturdy cloth of some kind. I found towels to be less than desirable for this.

I've always used Maxima's chain wax and with 38,000 miles (and counting) on my FZ1's chain, I'd say it's pretty reliable stuff.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 PM

get some detailing clay and clay lube and it will take it off. Or use dilluted citrus cleaner in a spray bottle everywash. Keep rim wax on them to so it won't peel off the finish.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Go to Lowes, you can only get it at lowes. It's made by Dupont, its a self cleaning lube that doesn't leave residue and comes out super thin. Go ride, come home spray it on and you can see the gunk coming off of your chain and then it leaves everything lubed up.
It's a multi-purpose lube. Best stuff you can find...close to 5 bucks a can.
The guys on gsxr.com swear by it so I tried it...works great and cleans your chain very well.

It's called Dupont Teflon multi-purpose lube.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:56 PM

Keroseane, works the best. just make sure you wash any paint the keroseane touches when your done, then you'll be ok. use it to remove asphalt spray on cars and cycles.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: bergs

To clean the rims:

Abiodegradeable degreaser like Purple Power or Simple Green works great.

I hose the rims first with water then spray the degreaser on after, one at a time.

Put on my yellow dish gloves (cuz I'm a sensitive guy), a fewdamprags and go to town.

I go so far as to spray degreaser and scrub the sidewalls of the tires with a nylon brush.

To clean the chain:

Liberally apply WD-40 and scrub with a nylon brush on all surfaces.

Wipe excess offwith a sturdy cloth of some kind. I found towels to be less than desirable for this.
+1. Simple Green is good stuff, and the WD-40 will do a great job of cleaning the chain too. This is the same method I use!

Old 02-23-2008, 06:05 PM

WD-40 (spray on a throw-away rag) for getting grime and brake dust off the wheels, then 50/50 Simple Green and water to wash off the WD-40 residue. Kerosene if the chain is really grungy, otherwise usually can get away with just WD-40 on a throw-away rag.

If your hands get really black sticky grungy from cleaning grease off chain / bike you can actually spray WD-40 ona paper towel and wipe your hands clean with it. Leaves a slightly oily residue, butbetter than greasy gunk and then you can just use soap and water on your hands later.

Becareful not to use thenew kinds of Purple Power or Simple Green Max that could actually take off paint.

I use Maxima "Clean" chain lube; and you're right, the chain wax does suck, I don't care who makes it, Maxima OR Bel-Ray. Remember, depending upon whether you ride in rain or dust / desert, usually youhave to lube an O-ring or X-ring chain alot less than a standard chain. Also, some people report that WD-40 will actually makes the O-rings leach lube or lose their sealing properties. I've only seen that happenonce, and I probably used too much WD-40. Just spray it on a rag lightly enough and run the chain thru the raga couple times.