'89 Stator Needed

Old 03-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Stator Needed

The stator on my '89 1000F seems to be dead. Before I start the long trawl through the interweb (), does anyone happen to know of a decent used one for sale? Australia/New Zealand locations best, but anything will be considered.

Cheers

Old 03-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought one from the US a month ago on e-Bay - cost with postage $100, so they do come up now and again.
falkon_powersports on eBay.com
You'll have to keep a daily lookout as they don't stay up very long. Try E-Bay UK too, and maybe Germany but their parts are silly prices.

Try japbikedismantlers in NZ - owner's name is Darrell - helpful guy.
Good luck.
http://www.japmcdismantlers.co.nz/

Are you sure it's the stator , not the reg/rec ?

Old 03-05-2011, 01:49 AM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

I have a complete spare engine from a 92, plus spare wiring harness and other electrical parts.

PM me or just ring 0402 593 393 if you think can be of help

Aussie Johnno

Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I bought one from the US a month ago on e-Bay - cost with postage $100, so they do come up now and again.
falkon_powersports on eBay.com
You'll have to keep a daily lookout as they don't stay up very long. Try E-Bay UK too, and maybe Germany but their parts are silly prices.

Try japbikedismantlers in NZ - owner's name is Darrell - helpful guy.
Good luck.
http://www.japmcdismantlers.co.nz/

Are you sure it's the stator , not the reg/rec ?
Thanks for the reply, boet. How are things in sunny Pinetown?

I ran the tests on the R/R and alternator described in the Haynes manual as well as a Honda workshop manual which I have a copy of. The R/R checked out OK (although it may be fried now), but, measuring the (A/C) output on the three yellow wires from the alternator, I got about 50V (I forget the exact figures) on two of them and about 5 V on the other. When I took the stator out, I measured the resistance on the three yellows and got 0 ohms on wire 1 to 2, and on 1 to 3, but about 50 ohms on 2 to 3 (make sense?) So, I think this means the stator has had it.

So, I'll start the long prowl, but thanks in particular for the NZ contact: I am in Auckland as we speak...

Cheers

Old 03-06-2011, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Aussie Johnno
I have a complete spare engine from a 92, plus spare wiring harness and other electrical parts.

PM me or just ring 0402 593 393 if you think can be of help

Aussie Johnno
Hey Johnno,

The stator is a Hitachi and the model number is: LD125-52. If that's the same as yours, let me know and I'll give you a call.

I have attached a photo as well.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails '89 Stator Needed-stator1.jpg  
Old 03-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Ride of the Year ... Just Ask The Boys

Same part number, LD125 - 52 engine is from a 92 model with 100,000 k's on the clock, engine was running perfect until i cracked the engine case....... it's a long story.

If you are interested call or PM

Aussie johnno

Old 03-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always a pleasure - if you were closer, I'd lend you my spare stator, Boet
As for Pinetown, not much changes - stinking hot this time of year, as I'm sure you remember.

Best of luck - if the readings you put up are correct, the stator is definitely fried. DON'T throw the old one out - sometimes guys put the stator in incorrectly and break the lugs off, which renders it useless - ask one of our members in Estonia.HI Kaspar !! You should use a rubber hammer on the centre so it goes in straight, or............
Despite what everyone will tell you, you CAN replace the electrics in a stator...................

Old 03-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Aussie Johnno
Same part number, LD125 - 52 engine is from a 92 model with 100,000 k's on the clock, engine was running perfect until i cracked the engine case....... it's a long story.

If you are interested call or PM

Aussie johnno
Definitely interested: I'll call you tomorrow (Tuesday). Maybe there are some other bits and pieces which could find a home in Sydney...

Cheers

Old 03-07-2011, 01:39 AM

Always a pleasure - if you were closer, I'd lend you my spare stator, Boet
As for Pinetown, not much changes - stinking hot this time of year, as I'm sure you remember.
I'm an ex-Josi boy (don't hold that against me), but the ex- was from PMB so we used to visit the outlaws there a bit more than I would have liked. The best holidays were when I took an off-road bike I had in those days (a Yamaha RT-1, 360cc two-stroke single) down with me and enjoyed myself riding the forestry trails. And fixing the Yammy when it broke down, of course. Fun.

hammer on the centre so it goes in straight, or............
Good tip, thanks.

Anyway, the good news is that it sounds like Aussie Johnno might be able to help me.

Cheers

Old 12-28-2012, 04:43 PM

And putting this thread to bed a couple of years later: I replaced the stator with a used one from Aussie Johnno (thanks AJ) but wasn't able to ride the bike straight away because I had started on a project in New Zealand and have been there pretty much full-time since then. However, now back in Sydney I've finally got the old girl back on the road: roadworthy, registration all done, new tyres front and rear, and she's running fine and the charging is 100%.

Thanks again for the help, guys, way back then.