CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   Is it worth fixing? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/worth-fixing-128055/)

Roth213 07-10-2011 11:19 AM

Is it worth fixing?

So I recently crashed and cracked the stator cover and also discovered behind the stator cover a good chunk of the engine is damaged. All the plastics but the tail fairing are in good shape, forks and frame look straight. 03 with 19K with many upgrades

Conrice 07-10-2011 01:14 PM

more details, pics of the "good chunk of engine thats damaged" would be good.

if its minor, definitely worth fixing, if its a lil more labor intensive, you may want to part it out.... in which case i'd be interested in some stuff.

lets see some pics

txsmainevent 07-10-2011 06:47 PM

I got a used tail section that ill sell to you for cheap. Hell im selling the whole set of fairings for 225. Get a new motor... or you can fix it. Conrice and a few others are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to engine tear down/rebuild. If you tear it down they will get it back together.

Roth213 07-11-2011 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Frame looks straight and the only other damaged part is the front rim. Need a few accessories here and there.

moosestang 07-12-2011 03:23 PM

Looks like you broke the engine case. If you have the piece that broke off, you can try a welding shop. Otherwise you'll have to source a new engine.

Your stator looks very good.:icon_wink:

Roth213 07-13-2011 09:19 AM

Unfortunately I don't have the pieces that broke off. I guess I'm going to try and sell it as is.

bdeljoose 07-13-2011 09:44 AM

I would try to find a used motor before trying to sell it.

Conrice 07-13-2011 11:40 AM

well look, you don't have to source a new motor. you just need a bottom case, a stator cover, and new stretch bolts. and if the case isn't from the same factory, you'll need new main bearings - which if you have a few miles on the bike, you might want to replace anyways. if you can follow a manual and get the motor out of the bike, it won't be all that hard to do.

in a few weeks, i'll have a lower case and a stator cover for you.... you can get stretch bolts off ebay, i'll give you a forum member's price if you'd be interested in fixing it. we can talk over PM if you are interested

if it were me, i'd fix it before selling it. but thats me, i have done it before and i like doing it. if you haven't done it before and don't have any friends that have done it before, it may be a little over your head. but if you have done it before or have a close mechanical friend that has a free weekend, well... then imo you should fix it.

Roth213 07-13-2011 06:00 PM

I haven't taken the motor out of the bike yet, so if I decide to this will be the first time. I currently have the manual but do not feel to confident on the rebuild. I might check with a bike shop around my way to see how much he would charge to pull the motor out and replace the engine case. I might consider replacing the case because all the plastics and everything else is still in pretty good shape. Conrice when you have the parts available let me know what you expecting to sell it for.

Conrice 07-13-2011 10:54 PM

sure thing man, it'll be a few weeks. next weekend, i'm going to pick up a motor, do a valve job on it, and through it in my repsol. then i'm taking the motor that's in the repsol right now and parting out what i can (lower case and stator are in good shape)

call around to a few shops and see what they would want you to do. taking the motor out of the bike yourself would be beneficial because it would save you a few hours of labor. see if any shops in your area would be okay with you bringing them a motor and them building it.