CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   Where to get carbon fiber parts? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/where-get-carbon-fiber-parts-149844/)

msebastianCBR 10-31-2013 04:46 PM

Where to get carbon fiber parts?

I am looking for air duct covers, front fender, and rear hugger. I know I can buy them separately but I was hoping to get them from the same manufacturer or company so they look similar and not different fabrics and what not. OPPracing used to make the parts but stopped and I was hoping to find somewhere to get them from. Any help is appreciated.

Conrice 10-31-2013 05:03 PM

MAKE 'EM!!!!

Like you said, the newest models of our bikes turned 10 years old this year. So finding a company that still produces 954 specific parts (really the ram air ducts), that's going to be tricky. A lot of people make them. I've seen "how to's" on how to make a completely carbon fiber/kevlar gas tank yourself. Making parts like ram air covers would be pretty simple. Especially, if you just wanted the carbon "look". You could lay carbon on there with a good epoxy and be done without having to make a mold...

You might be able to swap out some parts like the front fender, from a 1000RR. It might work. I'll do some digging on that as to whether or not parts will swap or not.

Mattson 10-31-2013 05:18 PM

OR, you can get them hydrodipped in CF or some other pattern of your liking, the companies usually have different patterns to choose from. Or you can get a DIY set and try yourself.

msebastianCBR 10-31-2013 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1256405)
MAKE 'EM!!!!

Like you said, the newest models of our bikes turned 10 years old this year. So finding a company that still produces 954 specific parts (really the ram air ducts), that's going to be tricky. A lot of people make them. I've seen "how to's" on how to make a completely carbon fiber/kevlar gas tank yourself. Making parts like ram air covers would be pretty simple. Especially, if you just wanted the carbon "look". You could lay carbon on there with a good epoxy and be done without having to make a mold...

You might be able to swap out some parts like the front fender, from a 1000RR. It might work. I'll do some digging on that as to whether or not parts will swap or not.

Originally Posted by Mattson (Post 1256409)
OR, you can get them hydrodipped in CF or some other pattern of your liking, the companies usually have different patterns to choose from. Or you can get a DIY set and try yourself.

I was thinking another alternative would be 3M 1080 carbon fiber vinyl and then clear coat it for that glossy look plus protection. I think this would look pretty good as an alternative plus it would be hundreds less than real carbon and hydro dip. I just don't think the hydro dip looks all that good, I had some parts done on my Camaro and basically took the stuff off it looked cheesy. Conrice, let me know what you find but I really would like them all to be the same and making them is still pricy and if you screw up it is money wasted. What do you think about the vinyl?

msebastianCBR 10-31-2013 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Google 3m 1080 carbon fiber to see it applied to cars and other stuff. The new 1080 looks much better than the di-noc and should look good applied to those pieces. Here is the differences.

Attachment 30702

Conrice 10-31-2013 09:51 PM

Front Fenders - CFW FRONT FENDER HONDA RC51 ALL CBR929/954 ALL Jazz Motorsports

Okay. That's one solid carbon fiber piece fender that fits. At $300+, I'd definitely be figuring something else out.

As far as part compatibility, I've found some conflicting stuff. Some guys are saying RC51 front fenders fit, others are saying they don't. But that ad seems to make it sound like they DO fit. I'm not sure.

But, it seems that 1000rr front fenders do fit, except, the 1000rr front fender has 2 front mount holes on both sides (so 6 total vs 4 on the 954). The 2 bottom holes on the front of the 1000rr fender would be hanging off the end. (The top holes would mount on the forks).

So that's one route you can go, if you wanted to spend the money. But as I said above, at $300+, I'd try to do it myself. Or I would go that vinyl route that you mentioned. I've certainly never used it. Just make sure it holds up to the sun (yellowing), and make sure the clear coat you use stands up to the elements and will not yellow.

I had some mirrors that I assume were carbon vinyl wrapped (because it wasn't real carbon fiber, and it wasn't hydro dipped because there was an actual thick layer), and they were very yellowed and half peeled off. I'm sure it was a quality issue with the vinyl wrap and/or clear coat.

msebastianCBR 10-31-2013 10:43 PM

Yeah that stuff holds up to the elements very well with no yellowing. There are several cars who are wrapped in it or have parts covered in it without clear coat and no problems. I would have them professionally cleared so they would hold up better and be more protected. Also, I only want the front fender, air duct covers, and rear hugger so I am not really looking for much. I may call OPP and see if they can still make a few pieces.

mrsmobbins101 11-01-2013 12:18 PM

there is a few kits on ebay for a carbon fiber seat cowl front fender and rear hugger. usually about 200. Also you could contact a company called Carbon fiber customs. They are a company that races. They take almost any part and make it with carbon fiber. As far as prices they are probably one of the higher but they are gaunteed to give you the satisfaction you need and want.

CarbonFiberCustoms

^^^ i should be a spokes person haha

I'm not a gixxer fan by any means... But in terms of custom work, they have a nastttttyyyyy gixxer.

mika_u 11-01-2013 04:18 PM

RC51 fender does fit. 1000RR doesn't fit properly even if you cut it. You will have to bend it little to get it in place and it will be under tension the whole time so it cracks from the tabs. I had the cutted 1000RR fender in my bike and i have fixed the cracks on the mounts few times. Next time i get the front end on the bike the oem 1000RR fender should fit :)