CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

What's the ....fpr

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the ....fpr

New here and I saw in another thread that a few of you guys had to change the ....fpr...what is that?

Thanks !

Old 12-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Fuel pressure regulator.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Thanks,,,,,,and how do you know if it's bad? Reason I ask is, I'm picking up a 2002 954 tomorrow afternoon and haven't seen or ridden it yet. It's over 3 hours away.
Thanks again !

Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by flhticbr
Thanks,,,,,,and how do you know if it's bad? Reason I ask is, I'm picking up a 2002 954 tomorrow afternoon and haven't seen or ridden it yet. It's over 3 hours away.
Thanks again !
You need to download the service manual, and do your research. After you have read how to check and service the fuel pressure regulator, then you can ask for help; most of the people here who know a lot dont have time to explain everything to everybody if you dont take the time yourself. I usually dont assume, but in your case, I will; you know absolutely nothing about how an engine works. You should worry more about tire pressure than your fpr at this point. One of the most important things when buying a motorcycle, car, etc. is the compression of the cylinders; I doubt the people your buying it from will let you remove all spark plugs and check the compression, but if I were buying another used bike thats what I would check before worrying about anything else. If compression is good most everthing else is relatively easy to fix. Easy check for fpr: lift up tank, find fpr on fuel rail, pull vacuum line from back of it and make sure its not wet with fuel, run bike at idle remove vacuum line(while idling)bike should increase rpms or stall; if nothing happens when you remove the vacuum line at idle something is wrong with vacuum lines or fpr. That not the proper way to check, but I doubt you have the tools like vacuum gauge to properly check seeing as you dont know what theyre used for. Dont take it personal, but before asking for help, do your own research first.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

REALLY rough idle, sh*tty throttle response --> bad FPR

Old 12-04-2011, 07:09 PM

Conrice,,,,thanks !!! Love the short answer instead of the attempt to impress everyone with your vast knowledge in the subject area.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not something that needs to be at the top of your check-list for a used bike.
I would be more concerned about things like condition of the brakes, hoses, wiring
harness, fork seals, any oil leaks, coolant leaks. Does the bike idle smoothly, start
smoothly? Watch for a warm engine when you get there, that means it starts rough
and he warmed it up first, so you wouldn't notice. As G_954rr said, (he was a little
harsh, but mechnically correct with his advice) checking cylinder leak-down/compression
will let you know a lot about the valves/piston ring condition.

Pull as much of the fairing as he'll let you and look for patches/over-spray from repair.
Look over the bike's extremities, for scratches and/or grind marks indicating it's been down.
Check exhaust, bar-ends, wheel-rims, front axle, lower-fairings.
Off color covers and mis-matched polish to the engine, indicating replacement/repair/salvage issues.

Good luck, Ern

Old 12-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by flhticbr
Conrice,,,,thanks !!! Love the short answer instead of the attempt to impress everyone with your vast knowledge in the subject area.
I knew you would get mad. The only people I try to impress is beautiful woman and people who have money for me; I doubt most of the guys here are beautiful or have much money to give me, so, no Im not trying to impress anyone. With utmost respect to Conrice(he has more experience than I do, with this engine), rough idle, and ****ty throttle response can be caused by more than just a bad fuel pressure regulator. Instead of getting mad at me, get mad at yourself for not knowing, and use that anger to learn as much as you can.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM

G,
Wow, you're sensitive, I'm not mad at you. Get mad at myself for not knowing an acronym for a "new to me" bike type, seriously?
Thanks, it's all good !

Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No epeen wagging please?

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
It's not something that needs to be at the top of your check-list for a used bike.
I would be more concerned about things like condition of the brakes, hoses, wiring
harness, fork seals, any oil leaks, coolant leaks. Does the bike idle smoothly, start
smoothly? Watch for a warm engine when you get there, that means it starts rough
and he warmed it up first, so you wouldn't notice. As G_954rr said, (he was a little
harsh, but mechnically correct with his advice) checking cylinder leak-down/compression
will let you know a lot about the valves/piston ring condition.

Pull as much of the fairing as he'll let you and look for patches/over-spray from repair.
Look over the bike's extremities, for scratches and/or grind marks indicating it's been down.
Check exhaust, bar-ends, wheel-rims, front axle, lower-fairings.
Off color covers and mis-matched polish to the engine, indicating replacement/repair/salvage issues.

Good luck, Ern

This is the correct response as far as I'm concerned. FPR isn't something you'll be able to check until the bike is yours, is a $50 part and won't (to my knowledge) cause any significant damage if bad and ignored for a bit.

Bigger things are if the bike has been down, has it been beaten to death and are there any problems legally

Originally Posted by Conrice
REALLY rough idle, sh*tty throttle response --> bad FPR
You forgot chitty gas mileage (for a motorcycle). No cookie for joo!

Last edited by Kuroshio; 12-04-2011 at 09:42 PM.