CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

What are the best tires for the 954?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by estate4life
Tires are like drugs, you get what you pay for...LOL...name brand or generic??
I beg to differ my friend.... The shinkos are a cheap tire and since they came out with the 009 and 010's i have only heard compliments. I love the shinkos. I also love the Continental Force/Attacks. They are a little expensive. In all honesty the Shinkos feel better than the Contis.

OhioBob, you're fine. This topic comes up a lot. I personally recommend Shinko 010's. They have nice longevity and they feel great around corners.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

o ya man, no flaming for bringing this topic up. its just like bringing up politics or religion at a family reunion, you know what i mean?

imo, if you're not running track with the thing, you want something that can handle the road, some gravel, and some wet. because you will get caught in the rain, and there will be gravel every once in a while. i'd go with the pilot powers if you want a big brand name.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Michelin Pilot Pures for your style of riding. I am not a Democrat and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.....once! The Pures can cover alot of demands for Street Riding. If a main concern is traction and "Not" High Mileage. I would Highly recommend this shoe for your bike. Spirited, twisty rides and the Pure is a great combination. The Track is a Whole different story. Pay very close attention to your pressures with these. Your set-up, weight, suspension all play a roll. Find the pressures that are right for you. regardless of Tire Brand. Try a 190/55 for the rear......If you love to play in the Twisties. You will Love what this profile will do with your ability to turn in.......

Last edited by Ironhead; 08-01-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:40 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioBob
Anybody tried the Dunlop SportMax Q2 tires?
I riding Q2 on my 900rr...luv it. Very sticky...now these tires release back 2009, there maybe newer tires out there but I definitely love these Q2...see link

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/Dunlop_Q2/images/Q2_press_kit.pdf

Old 08-01-2011, 04:47 PM
February 2012 ROTM

This is where the miscommunication is...i never said generic brand are not good. Formula may be the same but not price.....if you walk into drug store...active ingredient is same but why price fr name brand is so much higher???and thise topic will continue to be debated etc....LOL...

Originally Posted by txsmainevent
I beg to differ my friend.... The shinkos are a cheap tire and since they came out with the 009 and 010's i have only heard compliments. I love the shinkos. I also love the Continental Force/Attacks. They are a little expensive. In all honesty the Shinkos feel better than the Contis.

OhioBob, you're fine. This topic comes up a lot. I personally recommend Shinko 010's. They have nice longevity and they feel great around corners.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:59 PM

I like the pilot powers for everything except the wet. I've had the rear slide out at very modest lean angles when it's raining. I have power pures on my buell now, but only have 50 miles on them. I can say that the softer compound is very noticeable right way when you lean in a turn, unlike the pilot power 2ct, which didn't feel much different from the regular pilot powers.

If you ride in the rain, I'd consider a tire that excels in that area first and foremost. I only ride in the rain when I get caught in the rain.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:00 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Technology has come a long way since 1990s..THE name brand tires must keep making improvement, while the others competitors try to beat them up with price & offer nearly the same material compound and thread design. What your buying today...even if it's the cheapest tire now...will be better than the best and most expensive tires made then.......I just don't believe it's wise to keep tires on bike for too long, even is previous owner seldom ride? The design and tire compound itself will be outdated...expiration date...yes! Tire do have expiration date even if it's sitting on the shelf. I would rather purchase a cheaper brand tire that is new release, rather than buying an expensive name brand tha has been sitting f

Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM

you have choices and alot. Want a sticky tire.... You can do a race compound and get next to zero life from them on the street. Or you could do a sport tire with Dual compound. Many of the top tire manufactures have them. They seem to be the norm for many sportbike riders that demand a bit more from the tire as far as mileage and performance. Lastly a sport Tour tire. Not to bad. You can push these tires pretty good. Thing is most of us never push that hard on the street. If you are then your just asking for it. Read up on the different tire choices and make your decision based on your needs not wants.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moosetang brings up a good point. Rain and my I.Q. dont mix either....My advice on the pure is purely on Dry pavement. I have been caught out in rainstorms during many rides. My ***** and lean angles shrink up accordingly! Me no like rain for my style of riding.......

Old 08-01-2011, 06:05 PM
February 2012 ROTM

+1 I don't like rain either...my focus becomes like riding on sandy pavement.

Originally Posted by Ironhead
Moosetang brings up a good point. Rain and my I.Q. dont mix either....My advice on the pure is purely on Dry pavement. I have been caught out in rainstorms during many rides. My ***** and lean angles shrink up accordingly! Me no like rain for my style of riding.......

Quick Reply: What are the best tires for the 954?