CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

want to change clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: want to change clutch

i have a similar problem, i think its between 3rd and 4th for me. but it's so rare that i usually forget it happens.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:31 PM

These and the 929's were notorious for having "clunky" gear boxes to begin with. I suppose that the dogbones could be scorn/worn to the point where they don't completely line up. Splitting the cases to verify this is worthless unless you intend on replacing them. Running a different oil may help reduce this "clunking feeling" when not shifting at optimal rpm range, as in the case of short shifting or clutchless shifting (which is okay, but, again, knowing optimal shift points).

Old 06-22-2008, 08:40 PM

If it is jumping out of gear usually means that the engagement dogs on the gears themselves are starting to round off and when it is under power (more pressure) There is less engagement surface and it pops the bike out of that gear. Sometimes back into neutral if you were in 2nd gear, or sometimes into false neutral which is this place between lets say 2nd and 3rd gear. But you usually hear a battle rattling/clunky noise as the dogs smack each other. But when it jumps out of gear this force can usually bend the shift forks, or people forcing the bike to stay in gear when it is starting to pop out. To split the cases is a pain on this bike and the 929. You have to drop the motor/swing arm assembly. Which makes the bike hard to store! And you'll want to replace the gear that is popping out, the gear that engages it, shift forks and maybe the shift drum. I've seen them get notched because of this happening. As far as clutches. I have my stock clutch in, and I have getting close to 60,000 miles on the bike. So stock is holding up great. I think you won't have any problem with stock, but maybe invest in HD springs. But I also like Barnett, but just one problem I had once was the friction plate tabs were slightly longer than stock so they would stick out the basket a little and I didn't think anything of it, but found that it was rubbing on the inside of the clutch cover and I was unable to hear it over my pipe! But good thing to do it replacing your steel plates along with your frictions and springs. If you are slipping you are generating heat, and you may overheat the steel plates, maybe warp them or get heat spots on them. Just best to do it all, better than glazing over new frictions because of it. Hope this helps

Old 06-23-2008, 12:08 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Good info Surfin, thanks

I guess i didnt add earlier and it was asked (sorry) i purchased the whole kit from Barnett, clutch plates, friction plates, and springs. When i took mine apart i mic'd all the friction plates and all were ok thickness yet, but number 3 was cracked in 2 places. Also surprising to me all the springs were well under spec. This was at 22k miles, but i must admit an extremely abused 22k miles