CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

want to change clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to change clutch

I'm gonna check my clutch soon and thought why not just change everything broken worn or not. What brand of disks & springs would anyone recommend, does anyone have any experience on this, Ive been doing some track days and on the staight I've missed shifted and left me in the same gear or threw it into neutral so i had to start just pounding the gears clutchless (up shifts only, everything seems fine down shifting) any feed back would be great

Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Default RE: want to change clutch

+1 to the questions
was considering doing my clutch on my own this summer too, i bought my bike from a stunter and the clutch got a lot of abuse. This thread will help us both hitman

Old 06-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I did my clutch about 2 months ago as it was starting to slip a bit in 3rd gear (my wheelie gear). I used the Barnett Kevlar clutch kit and i am very very pleased with it. It for me was a very easy job to do (20 years auto tech experience) and i had all the tools needed. I would say anyone with a little mechanical skill could handle it no problems. Is just unhook the clutch cable, undo the bolts and pop the cover off. Take out the plates, and install the new ones in order. You then would need a torque wrench that does inch pounds to set the clutch springs, other then that silicone the cover and re install. The manual gives good descriptions on doing it if you need the referance also. If i can help anymore just ask.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:14 AM

Thank you, I have a manual....more interested in what brand you used any noticible difference or just the same. I wish more people would chime in if the had experience with this but my post is an actual question not some thing like "how fast can i make her go i hit 270 last night and thats not enough can any one help?" sorry had to vent on that, any who what would cause the gear to get stuck in nuetral when i up shift with hard excelleration (this would be from say 2-3rd or 3rd-4th) I dont actually have any slipping of the clutch or is that whats happening, also would my clutch cable just be a little out of whack and just need adjusted? BTW thank you TK954RR for the help

Old 06-21-2008, 10:28 AM

I too have replaced my clutch. Not because there was anything wrong with it, but because the barnett kevlar clutch is far better than the stock one regardless of malfunctioning. I wanted to swap out the springs for a more positive engagement also. What I also wanted to know was if the clutch basket had any chatter marks on the tabs. Swapping it out is a piece of cake. When I did the stator on the 929, I figured to tap the cover with a rubber mallet ever so slightly so it would break free the gasket.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 AM

Hey man, about that slipping into neutral thing, thats a lot bigger problem than the clutch. That is from bent shift fork/s. There have been many previous posts on the topic, search the forum.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 AM

Illushun and TK, where did you get the clutch kit from? Were you able to getkit with a full clutch kit or buy the different parts separate? Thanks

Old 06-21-2008, 11:55 AM

I get sick of searches maybe I dont search the right questions but there is so much crap i get tired of reading useless knowledge or reading the same post with little to tell. any way so it sounds like i could have a bent fork or other issues, When I,m floggin the throttle wide open and mashing gears i'll let slightly out the throttle and clutchless up shift, everything seems smooth but is this a bad idea, I don't do it regularlly but have done it a few times and had no issues so i think. the only time it has happened was on the straight at BHF coming out of the last turn coming out in 2nd and shifting to 3rd, its like I didn't shift (hits limiter) then I try again and get it. normal commute through town no problems at all, do you think the fork might be slightly bent or more like a gear missing a little bit of tooth or slightly rounded, Sorry if I sound a little off beat, I get sick of reading so many post just to find an answer, and I just dont have time to spend doing that But def. thank you for your guys answers i do appreciate it

Old 06-21-2008, 12:05 PM

I wish i could give you more info on that but to tell you the truth ive never done the repair, ive only read about it. But from what i have read, that usually happens between first and second when the fork is bent. but it might also be in the other gears just most people let off after it slips out of second. as far as shiftnig without the clutch, I do it in diesel trucks and it doesnt hurt them, but i dont know about bikes. I would guess its not to good for the internals.

Tk or someone might be able to give you more info on this.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

First off in my opinion the Barnett clutch seems a lot crisper, and engages alot better. I ordered it thru my local parts guru, but i would rec. checking out their website, they have a dealer listing, prolly one near you.

As far as your shifting problems i am not positive, i would lean towards a fork being tweaked, but i have never split a case apart before so i really dont want to give you any bad advice on trying to nail it down, sorry.

Quick Reply: want to change clutch