CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Transmission glitch + wheelie Ques.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005 | 08:06 AM
Default Transmission glitch + wheelie Ques.

Nice forum, dudes.

Just bought my first ever 954 2003 black on red - this bike is the absolute bomb!

Everywhere I park it, people drool over it, and usually the girls will ask for a ride on it!

Kills over anything else I've ridden. The 1000RR just scrapes the pegs too easily on track and the 954 just feels much more compliant tilted over for the ol' elbow sliders! Feels so planted - its like a litre bike (not quite powerful) in a 600 body!!!!!

Just have a few problems/dilemmas I've noticed -

1. The gear box is really notchy (but everyone says this is normal???)
2. Sometimes the 4th gear transition seems to drop the gear and just makes this clunking noise (sounds like a marble is in there and bouncing off the casing inside) - corrects itself once I kick the gear up or down hard.
3. Cant get 2nd gear power monos...perhaps in need of an exhaust upgrade/PC3???

Ninjaboy

(Australia).

Old 05-13-2005 | 08:08 AM
Default RE: Transmission glitch + wheelie Ques.

Oh, maybe because I never learnt to do clutch monos...tried a few times but just felt a bit awkward... a lil help?

With 2nd gear, monoed once by accelerating then lifting the handles up at the same time...No?

Old 05-14-2005 | 09:37 PM

hey. that bike should have plenty of horses & torque to do eddie lawson power lifts at least through 4 gears. unless of course you are a fat bastard or your clutch is worn out.

x

Old 05-16-2005 | 06:57 PM

Yes, the shifting is a bit 'notchy'...try going w/ full synthetic oil...it helped mine.

I'm no wheelie pro, but you should definately be able to pull the front up in 2nd gear w/ just the throttle....try getting up yo about 45-50mph in 2nd and hit the gas....that should do it.

Be safe!

RF

Old 05-17-2005 | 12:50 AM

Eddie Lawson power lifts? I didnt realise thats what they're called - should I be gassing, then lifting up, or lift up just before full throttling in 2nd gear?

I have tried numerous attempts to power mono just by using the throttle in 2nd gear once i get to about 6-7000 rpm, but not really lifting the front - I am a athletic but not bulky 5'6" 61kg male... which is considerably light.

So what could I possibly be doing wrong? too much weight at the front? Lean more backwards?

I'm not very familiar with using the clutch for monos, so not particularly keen on starting to wear out my clutch plates for tricks...

Also with the lift, should I weigh the front bars down, then lift up? Then immediately gas?

Curious and experimenting with the foot always on the rear brakes.

Ninjaboy.

PS - how do I attach a pic of my new bike on to the signature?

Old 05-17-2005 | 08:41 AM

I have a 2003 CBR 954. My first wheelie on the bike was in 1st gear. At 25 mph I got of the throttle and then snapped it back open about half way. She lifted the front end with no problem. I repeated it in second gear with the rpm's about 5000 and had no problem. I don't like power wheelies anymore because the front end came up pretty quick. I prefer clutch wheelies. I can control the rate the wheel comes up better.

Old 05-17-2005 | 09:01 PM

Ya, thats the prob - [&o] embarrased to say but never learnt to do clutch wheelies...just dont know how...

And yes, get plenty of mono action off the gas in first but seems to struggle in second gear...WTF? Everyone seems to say its not a prob with 2nd gear...is it just my bike?

So what exactly is an Eddie Lawson wheelie?

Old 05-23-2005 | 03:16 PM

u should be able to launch the front tire up in 3rd gear let alone 2nd without the clutch...i don't like using the clutch unless i'm in first trying to keep the speeds down just get the bike up to about 8 or 9000rpm where its really making good power...hit it...back off...and whack it wide open...should come up...i've routinely done stand up wheelies threw 3rd gear at over 125mph whatever that is in kilometers i have no idea...i'm assuming mono's in canada are the same as wheelies in america HA HA HA

Old 05-24-2005 | 12:08 AM

ORIGINAL: reevesna

u should be able to launch the front tire up in 3rd gear let alone 2nd without the clutch...i don't like using the clutch unless i'm in first trying to keep the speeds down just get the bike up to about 8 or 9000rpm where its really making good power...hit it...back off...and whack it wide open...should come up...i've routinely done stand up wheelies threw 3rd gear at over 125mph whatever that is in kilometers i have no idea...i'm assuming mono's in canada are the same as wheelies in america HA HA HA

Bloody hell, maybe its my bike - i weigh a measly 58-60kg pending on clothes/leathers and still struggle to get the front end up in second gear. Am i doing it right?
Rise to about 7-9000rpm, then bounce off the front suspension and full gas, right?
Some people have told me that its possible without front suspension bounce... WTF?!

getting pissed off that it could be the bike.... [:@] grrr..... I can only ever get it up in 1st gear and even with the stand-up-&-pull-the-bike-up-and-gas approach, I have only managed to get the bike up ONCE.

Maybe I need to Dyno it or something....

Frustrated,

Old 05-26-2005 | 03:52 PM

easy there young Jedi
As reevesna said...in 2nd gear, get the rpm's up to about 8-9k, back off the gas for a sec, then hit it on!....these babies have plenty of power for 'gas only' wheelies....you can always go 2-up on your rear sprocket to get more low end torque.

RF

Quick Reply: Transmission glitch + wheelie Ques.