CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

slipping out of 1st gear after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipping out of 1st gear after oil change

hey guys.. lookin for a little advice here.. my 03 954 seems to be slipping out of 1st gear when i ride it hard off a take off. like it gets to about 9kRPMS and then acts like it bogs down. any ideas? oh and i just changed the oil and put mobil 1 synthetic in .and changed the filter. but i wouldnt think it would mess up the riding. thanks in advance for anyhelp.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by diabloCBR15
hey guys.. lookin for a little advice here.. my 03 954 seems to be slipping out of 1st gear when i ride it hard off a take off. like it gets to about 9kRPMS and then acts like it bogs down. any ideas? oh and i just changed the oil and put mobil 1 synthetic in .and changed the filter. but i wouldnt think it would mess up the riding. thanks in advance for anyhelp.
its slipping out meaning pops out of 1st gear and goes to neautral? or do you touch the rev limit on first gear and it bogs down on you? how many miles you have and i dont think it has anything to do with oil change....

Old 07-11-2009, 12:10 AM

get rid of the synthetic...this argument can go back and forth for months...synthetic is too slippery for a wet clutch. Run non synthetic. Also behind your clutch basket there is your shift rod mechanism(lower left hand side) behind that is a little arm pointing towards the front of the bike with a little roller on the end that sits on a star shaped thingy(tryin to keep it simple), if your bike isnt dropping into neutral during what you are explaining this may be the problem and your fresh synthetic isnt helping the issue. Your local dealer that carries Parts Unlimted has a kit in the catalog for a small amount of money called a factory brand shift kit....comes with a new cover gasket and the little arm with a roller bearing and a heavy spring...these things make a world of difference on a cbr and your shifts will be smoother and its will stay in the gear you want it to.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

yea im almost temped to argue with ya, but what does honda know anyhow

Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have to make sure the syn doesnt have moly in it. Moly will is what makes the clutch slip. Other than that I will argue about synthetic all day long lol. You just have to use the right stuff in a bike.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:28 PM

i wonder if thats the problem im having with 4th gear but i ride mine pretty hard

Old 07-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
have to make sure the syn doesnt have moly in it. Moly will is what makes the clutch slip. Other than that I will argue about synthetic all day long lol. You just have to use the right stuff in a bike.
Does AMSoil have Moly in it?

Old 07-15-2009, 07:13 AM

I wasnt trying to knock synthetic, it was just my 2cents...I own a bike shop for the last 12 years and our stunters and racers have tryed everything out there as oil goes. We used the synthetic oils and clutches were burning up left and right. Went back to conventional oils and no probs. TK954rr....honda is big biz...they will try to sell you whatever makes them money, not trying to argue but we're all old enough to know that. There is a thread on fireblades.org I need to find from a few years ago. One of the members on there was a factory honda tech and chemist..guy was somekind of borderline genius...anyway...he took 2 of the same bikes with the same milage and rode them the same distance same conditions....difference was..one had mobile1 in the crankcase the other had some pepboys 99cent a quart garbage in it...after pounding on the bikes for months...the oils faired almost the same as far as engine wear and viscocity breakdown...it was a very interesting article. Many years ago is made scents to use different oils for bikes as opposed to a car...not anymore the cars of today rev almost a high as a bike. My point is...oil manu have to do something to get you to buy the more expensive oils that they make you "believe" you need in your bike. In my personal 954 I run pensoil 10-40..always did...never a burnt clutch, no slipping or engine noises. As far as my customers...I put in whatever they want when it comes time for oil changes. I said we could argue this point all day...a riders is going to be bias to what products have historically worked for them. Quick point on the Amsoil...had the rep show up at the shop and pushed his product...I used it for one practice session in my sons race bike...NEVER again. I tryed the domimator 2 stroke mix oil and their synthetic race crankcase oil....after 20 mins his plug fouled and the clutch was smoked. Went back to the motul we had been using (non synthetic) he has 3 hours of practice and 20 or so motos...clutch is fine and hasnt fouled any plugs. Amsoil blows in my opinion.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Rotella so I dont buy into the high $$ oils lol. Its worked great for me for two years now. If its made for a bike it shouldnt have molly in it. I never used Amsoil so I can not say what it has in it lol.