CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Real reason people hate stretched bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real reason people hate stretched bikes?

I rode ninja 250, 500, r6 and katana 600. Now I have the 954 and it was stretched when I bought it. Now besides being faster than the other bikes handling is not noticeably worse than the others. In fact it handles way better the the 250 on highway and I can make any turn perfectly as on the other biies. If anything I like the Stretch more than I hate it because I can haul *** without lifting. I just don't understand why people get unnecessary hate for it. I have got lots of compliments on my bike but I guarantee some of those same people be on YouTube leaving hate comments on stretched bike videos. It's just seem like a trend to hate on them.

Old 04-18-2018, 09:57 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

People will hate on anything these days.

Honda has spent decades and billions of dollars to design a bike that is well balanced with the turning axis between the axles accounting for the engines rotation for maximum handling. By moving the rear wheel, everything is upset. You won't find a bike on a track doing what it was made for with that mod. So the track guys will give grief about it.

Now, custom guys don't care about any of that. It's all about just making changes and looks regardless of real world performance loss.

Drag racing is a different story. This mod is a must to keep the front down. The more the better...for going straight.

I don't think it's really hate, just a different interpretation of how the bike should be used.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Nothing wrong with stretched bikes - but I bet your neighbours love that exhaust eh

I find a longer wheelbase helps them feel planted on the highway in exchange for a bit more steering effort. That said, it's the internet, so everybody's got an opinion on everything. I figure the people who hate on youtube are just living with a lot of boredom and frustration, so their opinion is literally the least important thing

The only opinion that matters is your own

Old 04-19-2018, 02:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We don’t get them over here, so it’s a completely alien world.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:20 PM

I think it's because wannabe drag racers who talk trash about displacement, power, and speed have stigmatized stretched bikes. Many throw up numbers but not skill, and they ignore the other types of riding which require different mods, and try to compare themselves to those riders and their bikes. Also, many of those trash talkers are ignorant. I had customers with Hayabusas tell me that their friends said they needed a stretch or they'd crash, instead of teaching about throttle control. I'd ask them their riding style, which was just cruising, and I'd tell them as long as they don't whip the throttle, they'll be fine.

Whenever I see a stretched bike, those riders come to mind.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by trachito
I think it's because wannabe drag racers who talk trash about displacement, power, and speed have stigmatized stretched bikes. Many throw up numbers but not skill, and they ignore the other types of riding which require different mods, and try to compare themselves to those riders and their bikes. Also, many of those trash talkers are ignorant. I had customers with Hayabusas tell me that their friends said they needed a stretch or they'd crash, instead of teaching about throttle control. I'd ask them their riding style, which was just cruising, and I'd tell them as long as they don't whip the throttle, they'll be fine.

Whenever I see a stretched bike, those riders come to mind.
I understand. I personally like the look of stretched to a certain extent but I also feel like if I didn't have the stretch I'd be ****ed up by now as I'm still getting use to my new bike. I saw a few busas at the track over the weekend doing 0-60 in less than 3 secs. Without those stretches no way could they take off that fast. These things were stretched as long as my full size sedan

Old 05-23-2018, 05:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Personally I don’t mind what anyone rides. Adventure, touring, sports etc. As far as “stretch” goes it’s just another example.
What I do like are people with a (any) two wheel passion. If your riding a “stretch” , you most probably fit the bill.
By the way, like your ride.