CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   power/"top end" suggestions (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/power-top-end-suggestions-118432/)

kahlilj 11-06-2010 06:56 PM

power/"top end" suggestions

OK folks,
I got a few extra bucks to play with & I want to get more power from my bike's engine (2002 CBR954RR) & ultimately increase my top end. Any suggestions?

From what I have read so far these are some of the mods I have seen suggested or done by others:
* "some high compression pistons; stroke it 4mm (that'll get me up to 1052cc).
sending the head away, oversized titanium valves, springs, retainers, serdi multi angle jobs, etc. i've heard one of the best cam jobs you can do is to throw the intake cam on the exhaust side & a custom grind intake cam (weld the cam position sensors on to make it work)".

* "go out 1mm on bore, but from what i've read so far, you don't really gain anything by that, and you ruin the sleeves, but you do however gain a lot from stroking it and it puts you over a liter as far as displacement goes....to keep the temp down and not overheat is just to not go crazy with the compression...not going to get an oversized radiator, i'm going to take wrap my exhaust, stick with my radiator fan switch, use engine ice, and i'm pretty sure it will be able to handle the engine. if that doesn't work, i may go with an oversized radiator..."

* power commander with custom map

* full exhaust (not so much gain with a slip on)

* BMC race air filter

* disconnect the HTEV cables & removing the airbox flapper

* factory pro short stacks

* lightweight pistons (from erion racing or similar?)

* titanium valves for intake & exhaust

* drop in cam from Crane

* Ignition Advance Rotor & 954 "Superflare Stacks (http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodh95.html)

Does anyone other suggestions? or any thoughts about or anyone have experience with the above ideas?

Thanks all for your help/guidance. :)

p.s. I already know about the gearing change (1-F & +1RR or 2RR & 520 chain)

Kahlil

bubba_finch07 11-07-2010 08:30 PM

besides just wanting to customize you bike. Why do you want to do this? Just curious, however that sounds like a hell of a start. Can the stock fuel injectors and throttle bodies power that beast though? Maybe some 1000rr throttle bodies woth two injectors. And doing all that work keep a high dollar 530 chain on it. Just in case.

kahlilj 11-07-2010 11:02 PM

thanks for the chain suggestion bubba... i guess i should have pointed out that i don't intend to do ALL of these items, but am looking to do a select few that affordable & are most efficient ( in terms of performance gain per bucks spent). hope that makes sense?

i noticed in your signature you had the flapper & HETV mods done. soooooo what did you think of those? have you done any of the other aforementioned mods?

Conrice 11-08-2010 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07 (Post 985502)
besides just wanting to customize you bike. Why do you want to do this? Just curious, however that sounds like a hell of a start. Can the stock fuel injectors and throttle bodies power that beast though? Maybe some 1000rr throttle bodies woth two injectors. And doing all that work keep a high dollar 530 chain on it. Just in case.

ya, the throttle bodies are good enough to support a 300hp engine. thats why a lot of honda civics with turbos and serious work use 954 throttle bodies for their car engines. besides, if you went with the 1krr throttle bodies, you'd have to go with a complete 1krr ecu and wiring harness to make both injectors work, and that's a lot of work, plus the 1krr airbox (that's where the other injectors are) and there are fitment issues with the tank.

what i'm going to do is get the 1krr throttle bodies, just for the size (they're 4mm bigger with the '08- 1krrs), but i'm going to use the stock fuel rail/ injectors from the 954 throttle bodies. that way, i shouldn't need the 1krr airbox nor the ECU.

kahlilj,

don't bore the thing out. you don't gain anything with the bigger slugs, and you lose the nikasil lining (which is strong as hell, i just pulled the pistons out of a 954 with 22k miles, and i can still see the cross-hatch on the cylinder walls!).

stroke it. and if you want to get some better pistons, they're out there. i've got CP pistons that i'm going to use once i get enough money to stroke the crank. don't go too high with the compression though, try to keep it at 12.5:1. the high compression pistons won't be doing anything much for you up-top, but they will give you more torque and low-end/mid range power. don't go cheap with the rods, because if you throw a rod you'll have to redo everything (crank, pistons, walls, and obviously rods) - kinda obvious.

if you have a full exhaust, you won't need to do the "HTEV mod" because you won't have an HTEV.

the only thing i've heard about factorypro short stacks, is that your wallet will feel lighter.

get a PCIIIR - and then you won't need an ignition advance rotor, plus you'll need a PC if you don't have one already (and the IIIR is cheaper than the usb or any of the newer ones)

figure out what you're going to do with the cams. i'm a fan of taking the intake cam and then putting it on the exhaust side, but you have to be able to weld the cam position sensor onto it. i'm a fan because this a)it's cheaper to get just one custom cam then and b) this will keep your power in the middle and upper rpm, with drop in aftermarket cams, they are strictly top-end, which isn't all that usable on the street.

remember, you'll be into the crank for around $1k, rods will be around $800, pistons - you're looking at about $500+, the head can be anywhere for $1500 and up. if you're wanting all titanium, from a reputable shop, you're looking at $3k-$5k. then there's all the gaskets, and new main crank bolts (because they're stretch bolts - meaning you can only torque them down accurately one time)

that's if you can assemble everything yourself, god knows what labor would be on that (or even if you can find a shop close enough to you that would take it on).

and obviously, you're not going to be running a stock exhaust with all of that, plus you'll need custom mapping, throttle body work, and a bunch of other things that need to go with that. so this isn't a weekend type deal.

and this is all just the engine work. it'd be pretty silly not to upgrade to better suspension after all of that. then there's brakes. and i don't know if i'd go for a 520 when you'll be producing around 180hp to the ground. i'd probably go 525. and i'm sure stock gearing would pull the front wheel sky high in the first 3 gears with all of that work.

just start small. if you're bike is stock (or near stock), start with a PC and BMC air filter, mod your HTEV, do the flapper mod. or go full exhaust. and go from there, plus just read and look around like you're doing.

kahlilj 10-15-2014 01:37 AM

hey guys, I apologize for not following up with what ultimately happened with my bike. I did have several of the above mentioned mods completed about 4 years. quick synapses, i bought my bike used in '07. Took good care of it with service, etc. my bike would only top out at ~160. My goal with the mods were better performance. After the mods were done best i could manage on top end was 165- 168. somewhat disappointing, but the throttle response was incredibly better and the power delivery was equally improved, both characteristics were noticeably better than before.

Well fast forward to thus year 2014 just recently I got this bike up to 177 and it was still pulling! I have done absolutely no changes to the bike since then (maybe changed the spark plugs with the same type and other basic service), but definitely no mods. I'm sure given another opportunity I could easily hit 180 or more. This is the performance I was expecting a few years ago when the mods were initially done. All I know is i'm very happy with the improved performance

Conrice 10-15-2014 06:03 AM

Do you have any pictures of your build?

mika_u 10-15-2014 12:41 PM

I'm would allso be interested on what are the engine internal mods and have you dynoed it? Not really sure what do you mean with the top end?

backdoc 10-15-2014 06:52 PM

I think kahlilj is referring to MPH in the above post#5 and talking about the top speed for his bike.

mika_u 10-16-2014 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by backdoc (Post 1282377)
I think kahlilj is referring to MPH in the above post#5 and talking about the top speed for his bike.

That was the impression i got allso when i read the post again. I'm actually more interested on the modifications then the top speed.

kahlilj 10-24-2014 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1282360)
Do you have any pictures of your build?

no pictures pf the work while in progress, but i did take a cell phone video while it was being dynoed, but that was 4 years ago & i'm not sure i still have it stored somewhere.

Originally Posted by mika_u (Post 1282369)
I'm would allso be interested on what are the engine internal mods and have you dynoed it? Not really sure what do you mean with the top end?

I will see if I can find the exact list & yes it was dynoed. i was there when they did the post mods dyno.

Originally Posted by backdoc (Post 1282377)

yes i was referring to mph, but also overall response of the engine. its definitely perked up: sharper throttle response, smoother power delivery and noticeable torque increase throughout.

This is what i wrote in the firblade forum in winter of 2010 right after getting my bike back:
"Well I finally got my bike in for mods last winter. Lee's Performance in Carolina did the mods & dynoed the bike. The change was about like what Blade & others suggested - I got ~10% HP increase; but the throttle & engine response is so much quicker & smoother that it's unreal. It's like this is how the bike should have performed from day one! It simply hauls butt now. Top end improved and mid-range pickup is very noticeable too.

I've attached the dyno chart from the tuning. I also had a video taken on my phone, but not sure I saved it since I have changed phones about 3 or 4 times since then "

Here's the link to my dyno run from back then:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3e8hswu0g4...cersz.pdf?dl=0