CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   plugs 1&3 fouled bad?no leaking fpr,wtf? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/plugs-1-3-fouled-bad-no-leaking-fpr-wtf-149380/)

cBrentb 09-30-2013 12:03 AM

plugs 1&3 fouled bad?no leaking fpr,wtf?

Just pulled my plugs and 1&3 are fouled bad. I checked the fpr. There is no fuel dripping from it when take off the vaccum hose. Can a fpr still be bad if it doesn't leak fuel when tested or can I be safe to eliminate that as the cause of the fouled plugs? If so what else can cause this?

Conrice 09-30-2013 01:10 PM

Did you check it with the fuel line primed? What kind of mileage are you getting to the tank?

cBrentb 10-01-2013 08:29 AM

yeah, i checked with the ignition in the on position and i herd the fuel pump prime. als checked it while running at idle and not a drop of fuel came out.

im getting 120-130 per tank.

after putting the power commander on and using the factory map (leanist down load map) it still is running rich. then i leaned it out on the pc on low mid and high on the faceplate in the negative as much as it would go for about ten miles. it poofs smoke a lot more (rich) and now ive noticed a lot of smoke when i slightly accelerate now. not only on hard acel on light accel too.

after ten miles or so of riding with it leaned out i pulled plugs and thats when i saw plugs 1&3 fouled and sooty wet. and 2&4 really white and ashy looking.

in other words 2&4 are white like they are supposed to be due to me leaning the pc out as far as it would go.

cBrentb 10-01-2013 08:51 AM

heres a pic

Conrice 10-01-2013 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by cBrentb (Post 1252875)

im getting 120-130 per tank.

That's why it's hard to say what's happening. If you had a bad FPR, a sticking injector, intermittent electrical issue, etc - I don't see how you could still be getting that range per tank...

The smoke - if it's bluish - could be from a valve seal or something. And after long enough - that would foul plugs. It wouldn't kill your mileage or performance that much.

If you had a bad FPR, leaking injector, low compression, intermittent spark issue, etc - I don't think you could get near that mileage to the tank.

You're in SC, so maybe around December/January, do a leak down test? Pinpoint it to make sure it's not rings.

How many miles are you going before you need a quart? I remember in another thread you were adding oil at some point.

cBrentb 10-02-2013 01:03 AM

The smoke doesnt smell like burnt oil at all. Seems like since the pc3 was hooked up the light color smoke went from bad to worse and now its not only blowing smoke on hard excel its on light excel too. After riding 45 min or an hour I get off and let it idle, rev it up high a couple times with my hand at the end of the exhaust, my hand is wet like condensation, it doesn't smell like fuel (idk, coolant leak?) I use distilled water for coolant in summer. I haven't been able to ride it enough to see oil consumption since the pc3 install a few weeks ago...needs rear tire bad, showing steel. Putting new tire on tomorrow. While looking for a new fpr, I found a complete throttle body (includ tps, fpr, injectors, ect) with14k miles on them off ebay for 48 bucks shipped. Figured I'd take the chance. My plan is to install tire and replace fpr this week then ride piss outta it to check fuel and oil consumption. Then I'll get back here this weekend to report.

Mean while...just got a call from an interested buyer that's willing to give 4k...we will see.

cBrentb 10-02-2013 02:50 AM

I wonder if a slight lower temp and lower humidity can make it run noticeably leaner, making it put out more smoke? Doesn't the air temp sensor add more fuel when it senses cooler air temp entering the airbox? We are having cooler temps now that fall is here. Hmm..

Conrice 10-02-2013 11:30 AM

The ECU should be able to adjust for that though correctly. It shouldn't make a noticeable difference. The change in the ECU would go through the PC first

Someone wants to give you $4k for it? And knows about the problems? Go for it

cBrentb 10-02-2013 01:26 PM

i just did a fuel pressure test. when i turn the key to the on position and the fuel pump primes, its at 57-58psi. pressure is at 57-58 psi at idle also. then when i pull the vaccum hose off the fpr when its at idle the psi goes straight to 58 psi and stays. then if i rev it to 3-4k rpm the psi goes to 54-55 psi.

isnt it suposed to go up 5-10 psi when the vaccum hose is pulled off, and then back down when put back on?

also ive noticed more and more smoke that smells heavier and heavier of fuel each day i crank and run it for a few minutes while working on it. (fpr is on the way out and just getting worst and worst)? ive herd they can still be bad even if they dont leak fuel when the vaccum hose is pulled off.