CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   Opinions on good front rotors (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/opinions-good-front-rotors-150652/)

fdn2blk 01-22-2014 10:37 AM

Opinions on good front rotors

Anyone have any opinions on some good front rotors? Haven't bought rotors in awhile last set I got was EBC and they were pretty good don't know if I want to quite drop that much for rotors again, but would if there aren't really any other good options out there.

mika_u 01-22-2014 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by fdn2blk (Post 1263088)
Anyone have any opinions on some good front rotors? Haven't bought rotors in awhile last set I got was EBC and they were pretty good don't know if I want to quite drop that much for rotors again, but would if there aren't really any other good options out there.

Is there anything wrong whit the oem rotors? If you are looking for replacement rotors then used oem or chinese rotors are the options whit less money. All the "premium" brands cost about the same if you can't find used ones for little less. I have the chinese rotors and they seem to be ok. I liked them maybe even little more then the old used oem rotors.

fdn2blk 01-22-2014 02:56 PM

Nothing wrong with the oem rotors except new they are $450 a piece from Honda when I called today and didn't want to buy them used, didn't know what I would get. I have seen the chinese ones on ebay for much cheaper, but didn't know anyone with them. The braking on the chinese ones seems better than the oem? How long have you had them and where did you get them from? I may give them a shot, I guess for them being significantly cheaper then EBC or Galfers it's worth a try.

fdn2blk 01-22-2014 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by mika_u (Post 1263105)
Is there anything wrong whit the oem rotors? If you are looking for replacement rotors then used oem or chinese rotors are the options whit less money. All the "premium" brands cost about the same if you can't find used ones for little less. I have the chinese rotors and they seem to be ok. I liked them maybe even little more then the old used oem rotors.

Looking at these maybe...

Front Brake Disc Rotor for Honda CBR 900RR 929RR 2000 2001 954RR 2002 2003 Black | eBay

mika_u 01-23-2014 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by fdn2blk (Post 1263117)

Confirm from the seller that the offset of the discs are 12.5mm. I bought mine from a local shop and had to change them once because they had wrong offset. Whit ebay i would think it would be little difficult. I think i bought chain guards from this seller few years ago and they didn't fit the bike whitout bending and cutting them. I will get back to you whit sellers people have been using whit the 954 ebay discs. The ones i have didn't work whit EBC pads at all so if you buy these you should use pads that people have tried whit chinese discs.

fdn2blk 01-23-2014 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by mika_u (Post 1263146)
Confirm from the seller that the offset of the discs are 12.5mm. I bought mine from a local shop and had to change them once because they had wrong offset. Whit ebay i would think it would be little difficult. I think i bought chain guards from this seller few years ago and they didn't fit the bike whitout bending and cutting them. I will get back to you whit sellers people have been using whit the 954 ebay discs. The ones i have didn't work whit EBC pads at all so if you buy these you should use pads that people have tried whit chinese discs.

Appreciate the feedback. And i'll hold off until I hear back from you about the sellers people been using. Yea I don't wanna go through the hassle of all that. The only other thing I thought was the2wheels.com. I have ordered a few things from them before, shorty levers, adjustable sets, etc, but they sell discs too. And I see a few people on the forum get some of their stuff from them too just haven't heard anybody getting discs from them. Still chinese, but have never heard anything about their products not fitting properly so seem to be a little bit more reputable.

msebastianCBR 01-23-2014 09:50 AM

I have a lot of good about the ebay wave rotors. There are several threads about them on race bikes and taking a lot of punishment and they held up with no problems. I would do the back also so all of the rotors match. I am getting them for my build with new stainless lines and pads.

fdn2blk 01-23-2014 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR (Post 1263167)
I have a lot of good about the ebay wave rotors. There are several threads about them on race bikes and taking a lot of punishment and they held up with no problems. I would do the back also so all of the rotors match. I am getting them for my build with new stainless lines and pads.

Thanks. I looked through and found some threads and saw a few people that had the rotors I was looking at. And I think I will take your advise and go ahead and do the back while i'm at it and do all the pads too. Especially since I just got this bike, i don't know how hard it was ridden and I feel like if ima put new rotors all the way around might as well do the pads at the same time. I'm going to do the lines at some point this season too. Thanks sebastian!

msebastianCBR 01-23-2014 01:52 PM

I have always been told when you change rotors you change pads due to possible uneven wear. Another $140 and you can grab you up some Core brake lines. HONDA 954 (02-03)FRONT AND REAR CUSTOM BRAKE LINE COMBO They have new banjo bolts and crush washers and you can choose different color combinations. I have not heard anything bad about these lines.

fdn2blk 01-23-2014 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by msebastianCBR (Post 1263194)
I have always been told when you change rotors you change pads due to possible uneven wear. Another $140 and you can grab you up some Core brake lines. HONDA 954 (02-03)FRONT AND REAR CUSTOM BRAKE LINE COMBO They have new banjo bolts and crush washers and you can choose different color combinations. I have not heard anything bad about these lines.

Those were the exact ones I was looking at... looks like they will be a nice touch.. i have the black/silver 954 color scheme so thinking of doing the translucent red with black banjo bolts