CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Oil on Spark Plug CBR 954 RR

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil on Spark Plug CBR 954 RR

Oil on Spark Plug CBR 954 RR - 03 FireBlade

Background:
I bought this bike one year ago. This season I have ridden it 5000km (3107 miles). In total it has about 54 000 km (33550 miles) on the clock. My impression is that it's pulling really strong and overall works as intended. No hesitation, no misfiring, no irregular smoking. New oil and filters etc.

Reason for original troubleshooting:
  • Primary concern: Cylinder 3 was running colder than the others, from start. A water spray test on the manifolds would instantaneously evaporate the water from cylinder 1, 2 & 4, while the water would evaporate much slower on cylinder 3 and even follow along the exhaust for some cm before being fully evaporated.
  • Minor secondary concern: On cold start it has always required a bit of gas and won't start from idle. It has no practical implication and hasn't been a real concern, however at the same time it didn't completely coincide with the flawless start I expected from an FI engine with nearly new spark plugs (replaced less than two years by the previous owner).
Troubleshooting findings:
  • FPR no issue detected (no dripping from vacuum hose connector on fuel priming).
  • My best guess now concerning cylinder 3's temperature difference is fouled fuel injectors.
  • However, more importantly pulling the plugs revealed what I judge to be engine oil on the spark plugs from cylinder 1 & 2. See images.
  • Initially I eliminated leaking valve cover gasket since the wall down to the spark plug, the spark plug coils and the porcelain part of the spark plugs where all dry. However, further inspection of the area around the spark plug opening revealed fouling for both cylinders. See images. Are there any specific seals down there or is it the spark plug threads leaking? Also supposedly there is a drain hole down there which seems completely clogged on cylinder 1
Compression & leakdown test:
As advisable I bought a compression tester to make further troubleshooting before entering into "heart surgery" mode. Unfortunately it seems nearly impossible to find a fitting that works with the recessed thread of the 954 spark plug hole. On standard 10mm adapters the narrow part are clearly too short, see photo with comparison to spark plug.
Any advice on this?

If I can just find a proper fitting for the spark plug hole I will also be able to do a poor mans "leak-down test" using my manual bicycle pump which is able to generate up to 140 psi. This should be more than enough to genereate substantial leak sound in any troubled area.

As a regression action of displacement activity (due to frustration over the leaking fitting) I also poured the famous table spoon of oil down the cylinder (out of which probably less than half actually got into the cylinder and the rest came on the valve cover wall). This taught me that there seem to be a drainage hole down there some where because that same oil came pissing out the front of the motor block close to the manifold on the other side. I later read that indeed there should be such evacuation hole, to prevent standing water etc.

Result so far:
Right now I am about 0 steps forward and 1 step backwards. It seems my compression testing activities managed to break something with the ignition system. Although I tried to keep the spark plugs grounded against the engine block, as advised in haynes manual, but which is nearly impossible, there is no more sparks and I have a "19" error code on the display.

I love my 954 so if need be I will take out the engine and open her up, I will. However, if there is anything that I can do to avoid it I really want to try all relevant alternative options first.

According to previous owner the valves clearance was also done two years ago, and I have no reason to doubt this since everything that I have been able to verify concerning the rest of the service history has checked out.

Truly grateful for any and all guidance and help from you more experienced mechanics.

Last edited by Gazz954; Today at 02:28 PM.