CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

New fork seal kits

  #1  
Old 05-02-2017, 07:39 PM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 151
Default New fork seal kits

Noticed my '02 left fork weeping badly at the bottom.

How easy or difficult is this job? I'm starting a bike courier job after my wedding/honeymoon and will only have 2 days to get it sorted without any muck ups. I no mechanic but have done a fair bit of light mech work on cars and a bit on bikes.

The main prob I see posted around, is re-compressing the springs?

Any special tools needed?
 

Last edited by dec111; 05-02-2017 at 07:41 PM.
  #2  
Old 05-02-2017, 07:51 PM
74demon's Avatar
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: socal 949/951
Posts: 8,011
Default

If you're using the old stock springs, they compress easily as they are really soft and probably worn out after 15 years. Stiff replacements can be pain without a compression tool, but can be done.

The real trick is getting the seals and bushings back together. A seal installer sure helps. I made one using pvc pipes, glue, a saw, and a grinder.

pics of the set up if needed.
I was going to do a write up on doing USD forks, but just haven't got around to it yet.....
 
  #3  
Old 05-02-2017, 08:06 PM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 151
Default

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
If you're using the old stock springs, they compress easily as they are really soft and probably worn out after 15 years. Stiff replacements can be pain without a compression tool, but can be done.

The real trick is getting the seals and bushings back together. A seal installer sure helps. I made one using pvc pipes, glue, a saw, and a grinder.

pics of the set up if needed.
I was going to do a write up on doing USD forks, but just haven't got around to it yet.....
Cheers man, I've WP spring stickers on the fork, so possibly more difficult to work with?

Yeah mate, if you have pics please post
 
  #4  
Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 PM
74demon's Avatar
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: socal 949/951
Posts: 8,011
Default

I will post some tomorrow. Photobucket is being a pain lately.

WP?
if they have been replaced, it will be more difficult the higher the stiffness.
 
  #5  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:55 PM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 151
Default

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
I will post some tomorrow. Photobucket is being a pain lately.

WP?
if they have been replaced, it will be more difficult the higher the stiffness.
cheers man
 
  #6  
Old 05-04-2017, 04:58 PM
Hawkwind2016's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Brighton
Posts: 747
Default

YouTube anyone?



 
  #7  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 PM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 151
Default

cheers, more about the need to compress aftermarket springs that's worrying me shout attempting
 
  #8  
Old 05-05-2017, 11:44 PM
74demon's Avatar
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: socal 949/951
Posts: 8,011
Default

Originally Posted by dec111 View Post
cheers, more about the need to compress aftermarket springs that's worrying me shout attempting
The only reason to take apart the spring assembly other than changing springs is to bleed the air out. If you can compress it as an assembly enough, you don't really need to take it apart. But if you choose to, it can be done without a compression tool. It's just a little tricky.

pics still on the way.... I didn't forget
 
  #9  
Old 05-07-2017, 11:16 PM
backdoc's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Morristown, Tennessee
Posts: 523
Default

We have a "How to" section at the top of the 954 page. Site also has a good search feature that rarely gets used.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-103/c...lation-120001/
 
  #10  
Old 05-10-2017, 02:19 PM
dec111's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 151
Default

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
The only reason to take apart the spring assembly other than changing springs is to bleed the air out. If you can compress it as an assembly enough, you don't really need to take it apart. But if you choose to, it can be done without a compression tool. It's just a little tricky.

pics still on the way.... I didn't forget
cheers man
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New fork seal kits


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.