CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

New to the CBR crew

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the CBR crew

Hey guys, I have owned my 03 954RR since september 06 and I have to say it is an amazing bike... or at least I think so. Any how I had a question regarding tires. I was running some soft compoud bridgestones and from brand new I went through a rear tire in about a month and a half. The funny part is I don't spin the tire, I ride it pretty hard but I was just wondering if there was any recomendations on tires that grip but give me about 5k on them at the same time. I am now runing some metzlet mid compound sport touring tires because they were what i could afford at the time and they seem to be a very nice riding tire but i do notice a bit of slipage going low into corners. if you guys had some advice that would be awesome. Thanks

Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Default RE: New to the CBR crew

Well, first of all, welcome, and nice bike. In here, youre going to find many answers according to preference. I prefer the Michelin Pilot powers. They last a nice while, and I havent had any slippage from them. I cant say I knee drag, but my chicken strips are pretty small. I have Pirelli Diablos on my wifes Gixxer (sorry for using that word) and they are good also. In here, you will get many different opinions. All I can tell you is DONT BUY........................................Shinkos . I bet VP was like FU Doog.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love the pirelli diablos.. the regular diablos are great for alot of street use, soft enough but will last a good 5k there are also softer compounds, check out the link

http://www.pirellityre.com/web/catal...hicleType=MOTO

Old 02-22-2008, 05:38 PM
VP

All I can tell you is DONT BUY........................................Shinkos . I bet VP was like FU Doog.
hahaha you're absolutely right... I was like "man I gotta go defend the dunlops again"

Shinkos I am 100% in agreement with you on... KEEP EM ON THE RACK!

Old 02-22-2008, 08:08 PM

I have run many different types; Meztler Sportech M1, Bridgestone BT010 and BT014, Pilot Powers, Dulops (208's and qualifiers), Pirelli Corsa III, and just ordered Continental Sport Attack.

What I have found to be most pronounced is the fact they rears were all 180 series. I have gotten slip at the edge on all of them except the pirelli corsa 3's. Best grip were the pirellis, best in the rain were the bt014's, best longevity were the pilot powers. This year I'm going with the 190 series so I hope it should change that up.

Since running all of these tires, I have learned to get farther off the bike during full lean in the apex. So, combining that with the fact of having a larger 190 series, I think I will get better grip. I usually run 2-4 psi less that manufacturer. All of these characteristics have an effect on how it handles and how you react to those changed variables.

Keep in mind that their are many other variables that should be taken into consideration when you judge a tire, for example, road conditions (street or track), surface/air temparature, the smoothness of your right hand w/ the throttle, etc...

Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

If you ride hard at all, your gonna go thru tires, thats just a fact. The only way your gonna get 5k out of a liter bike is ride like a sissy, or get more of a touring compound tire, but then you are going to lose your performance. I usually get maybe 2k out of a set of tires, but i know thats how its gonna be, just plan to spend 1,200 or so a year on tires, get good sticky ones, and ride the hell outa your bike.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

If you ride hard at all, your gonna go thru tires, thats just a fact. The only way your gonna get 5k out of a liter bike is ride like a sissy, or get more of a touring compound tire, but then you are going to lose your performance. I usually get maybe 2k out of a set of tires, but i know thats how its gonna be, just plan to spend 1,200 or so a year on tires, get good sticky ones, and ride the hell outa your bike.
hmm 2k.. what tires are you running, i never rode with you after you got he 954.. but i got almost 5k on a rear of pirelli diablo and you know how i ride

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...ideoID=2167660

i am the first one

Old 02-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

I got into riding pretty hardcore this past year. I mean i always rode a lot, but i really started i guess you could say stunting, and i think that took a large toll, the learning process that is, lot of abouse learning. Also did a lot more twisites this year, and i really started to get the feel of pushing the bike hard, also went to KK and drag raced 13-14 times, and a few track days.So i think all of that combined i really chewed em up. I hope it will be better this year now that the learning is over. Its kinda funny really, early in the year i rode with Busa a couple times and was like wow, guy can ride wheelies forever. Now at the end of the year i was like sheesh is that the best you got LOL.

So i guess all in all yea i ride harder than you LOL j/k.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:47 PM

That was a hot video. Bobjoe, you are not 21, are you?

Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

thanks.. yes i am 21.. be 22 in april

Quick Reply: New to the CBR crew