CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need new tires

i use the pilots good sterdy tire...but wouldnt mind a set of those pirellis...

Old 05-09-2007, 02:07 AM

hey every one go to ridedirect.com for tires i got mine for 50 bucks cheaper and they do free shipping...

Old 05-09-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pirellis are great tires also

Old 05-09-2007, 01:03 PM

Thanks TK and Bobjoe. I was going to try and be cheap about it and just get the near bald rear replaced, but if it'd compromise handling and "feel" then I'd much rather replace both and do it right.

Metzeler RaceTech K2's are definitely the way to go! More stick than Power Race tires and half as long to heat up. If you plan on scrubbin the edges they are definitely the tire for it. They only come on a 55 though so you will have to do some suspension tweaking to get it dialed back in though.
This would be my first bike which means my first tire replacement. I've heard of "scrubbing" but how do I do it? Do ALL new tires need to be scrubbed? Andy, do you have the size confused? I'm getting a 180/55/17. I'm not a racer, mostly moderately-aggressive road commuting. I'd figure anything with "Race" in the model name would be more appropriate for track bikes? Let me know more about the Metzeler...

Old 05-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have a 190 stock.. 180's are on 600cc bikes.. but you can use either one, but the 180 is a little less wide.. metzler tires are good, i love the pirelli's .. one thing u got to know you can't be cheap about tires... they are the most important part of the bike.. replace both with a quality tire

Old 05-09-2007, 03:45 PM

ORIGINAL: WoodyRR

Thanks TK and Bobjoe. I was going to try and be cheap about it and just get the near bald rear replaced, but if it'd compromise handling and "feel" then I'd much rather replace both and do it right.

Metzeler RaceTech K2's are definitely the way to go! More stick than Power Race tires and half as long to heat up. If you plan on scrubbin the edges they are definitely the tire for it. They only come on a 55 though so you will have to do some suspension tweaking to get it dialed back in though.
This would be my first bike which means my first tire replacement. I've heard of "scrubbing" but how do I do it? Do ALL new tires need to be scrubbed? Andy, do you have the size confused? I'm getting a 180/55/17. I'm not a racer, mostly moderately-aggressive road commuting. I'd figure anything with "Race" in the model name would be more appropriate for track bikes? Let me know more about the Metzeler...
Scrubbing new tires does NOT mean grabbing a Brillo pad and going to town. It means breaking in the tires for the first 100 miles. Yes, ALL new sportbike tires must be scrubbed.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 AM

ORIGINAL: bobjoezx

you have a 190 stock.. 180's are on 600cc bikes...
I have a 600RR.

Thanks Joel for the reply about scrubbing. I had questioned my dealer salesman on it at time of purchase and he said it was more or less breaking them in, but you had to scrub the sides? Do I have to do anything special? Or does it just mean take it easy for the first 100 miles?

Joey, thanks for the referral to Ridedirect.com. They do have some pretty good prices, but MotoXOutlet.com has the same price shipped (which there is a charge for) to the door on the Pilot Power.

I work in the auto industry and really know Michelin has such a reputable product. I'm going to get the Pilot Powers. Metzeler would be my second choice if the Pilot's are not available. I know Pirelli has made some great products as well, but I've seen some questionable products released by them for the automobile tire line. However, since Bobjoe seems to know what he's talking about, I'd give them a shot as well...

Thanks for all the input guys, I'll let you know what I think when the tires come in. Definitely getting the pair together. I was going to drop the bike off at the dealer to do the install, but was wondering if I should just do it myself. If I do it myself I'll have to order a stand. Otherwise, it should be pretty simple...axle nuts, calipers and chain. Same for the front minus the chain, right? Dealer wants an hour of labor on the bike (for the rear anyway) which is $72 (this includes resetting chain tension)or 1/2 hour off the bike....any advice?

Old 05-10-2007, 01:32 AM

Thanks Joel for the reply about scrubbing. I had questioned my dealer salesman on it at time of purchase and he said it was more or less breaking them in, but you had to scrub the sides? Do I have to do anything special? Or does it just mean take it easy for the first 100 miles?

Joey, thanks for the referral to Ridedirect.com. They do have some pretty good prices, but MotoXOutlet.com has the same price shipped (which there is a charge for) to the door on the Pilot Power.

I work in the auto industry and really know Michelin has such a reputable product. I'm going to get the Pilot Powers. Metzeler would be my second choice if the Pilot's are not available. I know Pirelli has made some great products as well, but I've seen some questionable products released by them for the automobile tire line. However, since Bobjoe seems to know what he's talking about, I'd give them a shot as well...
The road will do the scrubbing for you as you ride. You're right, just take it easy for the first 100 miles. Examine the tires after the first ride for defects such as bulging and such. Keep the tires properly inflated for the life of the tire. Honda suggests 41psi front, 36psi rear. I usually run a few psi under spec unless it's ungodly hot, then I run them at spec so they don't overheat when they wrinkle..

Metzeler and Pirelli are pretty much the same company as far as I know. Kind of like Pontiac and Chevrolet. They both produce similar cars, with slight differences. i.e. The two tire companiesmight use the same tire compound for the Pirelli Diabloand Metzeler M3, just a different tread design and/or profile. This is just and example,not a hard fact.

On my 954 I've had the OEM Bridgestones, Metz M1's, Dunlop Qualifiers and I'm awaiting my Pilot Power 2CT's to be delivered on Friday. The Bridgestones were, well, hard because they were OEM. The M1's were good, very stable. The Q's are really sticky and forgiving, but the bike feels weird. Like it has two distinct ends. Hard to explain. I've heard the Powers are the way to go with the 954. I had Pirelli Diablo Corsas on my ZX7. I really liked those tires, but I'm not crazy about the tread pattern. I know, I know....

Old 05-11-2007, 12:36 AM

Yeah, I'm a newbie. Sorry, I didn't realize this thread was started in the 954 section....I have a 2005 CBR 600RR. 120/70/17 F & 180/55/17 R tire.

Do you guys still think the Pilots are the way to go?

Old 05-11-2007, 02:06 AM

have you guys seen the tread on the new continental sport track...tell me what you think of those

Quick Reply: Need new tires