CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Need Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need Help!!!

Thanks! FOR ALL THE HELP!! AND INFO! BY CUTTING IT CAN I JUST BY A BOLT ON? AND THEN GET IT CUT OR HOW DO YOU DO IT !! IVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE TWO BROTHERS EXHAUST M2 OVAL!!CAN THAT BE DONE TO IT. CUASE I DO LIKE HOW IT LOOKS SHORT.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM

To return to the chain issue: if it's just the side plates that are grimy you can clean them off with a rag and either detergent or kerosine. The risk with a kero bath is the kero getting into the grease around the bushes and degrading it.

The most effective and least messy way of spraying the lube on is this: prop the rear wheel up, have someone spin it for you, lie down alongside the bike and spray on the bottom side of the top run with the nozzle pointed to the underside of the chain guard. That gets the lube to the inside of the bushes and centrifugal force when you ride will push it to the outside. Do this when the chain is hot so the lube thins and penetrates better.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

For shortening a can, i thought about doing a how to with pics, guess i should have. First figure out if you want to cut off the front or back, i chose front as i wanted to keep the Jardine logo. Remove can from bike, figure out how much you want to take off. Mark that spot. Drill out the rivets from whatever end you are cutting. Remove that end cap, then you will have a mesh screen that runs the whole inside of the can, pull that out, then pull out the what will look like a log of deadening material. Measure and make your cuts, cutting all 3 things equally. Reinstall the packing and screen, install the endcap. Then mark all the hole locations from the end cap (if doing the front make sure its straight, or your can will be tilted when you mount it back on the bike). take the cap back off and drill the appropriate holes for the rivet size you are using, reinstall cap and rivet in place. Put pipe back on bike and enjoy. I think that about covers it, main thing is take your time, and like they say measure twice, cut once, or you can buy a new pipe

Old 05-02-2008, 11:53 PM

You nutty guys[&:] Chopping off perfectly good $$$ expensive pipes. I love that Micron carbon-fiber, and the Jardine RT-One is SWEET. However I like it better the way it was before. I guess my eye for proportion is different.

Anyway, yeah, you should put fresh (Motul RF600 is best) brake fluid in your master cylinders, both front and rear. Get the MityVac brake bleeding kit ($42) from JC Whitney ...you can't go wrong. Or pay a shop to do it. Sometimes it can be a pain in the butt and messy. It's very easy to get brake fluid all over the bike and floor. The bad thing is it can eat your paint off the bike. I have a couple tiny spots on my FZR from this, not very noticeable fortunately. It's easy to miss wiping stuff when the bike is dark color.

About time to replace the brake fluid on my 954 also. Time to stop by the local Salvation Army and see if they have any old bed sheets or cheap towels. No way in hell do I want brake fluid destroying the finish on this baby!

Oh, you're obviously new to motorcycles, so, the BEST ADVICE I can give you is to not make any changes (other than change oil, filter, brake pads, coolant, clean chain, basic maintenance) until you've learned to ride the bike well after a couple thousand miles. Then after you're happily adjustedand you have all your riding gear and you've really learned to ride the bike safely make whatever modifications you want. Oh yeah, the best advice was already posted by someone else. The FRAME SLIDERS. Already saved me from a tip-over in the garage. Get some rear-spools or spool-sliders also and a good rear stand. When using the rear stand for the first few times have someone else hold the bike up so you don't drop it.

GEAR UP! If you need suggestions on this I'm sure all of us have our favorites. Check Teknic and Sidi to start with.
Welcome aboard.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:07 AM

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

For shortening a can, i thought about doing a how to with pics, guess i should have. First figure out if you want to cut off the front or back, i chose front as i wanted to keep the Jardine logo. Remove can from bike, figure out how much you want to take off. Mark that spot. Drill out the rivets from whatever end you are cutting. Remove that end cap, then you will have a mesh screen that runs the whole inside of the can, pull that out, then pull out the what will look like a log of deadening material. Measure and make your cuts, cutting all 3 things equally. Reinstall the packing and screen, install the endcap. Then mark all the hole locations from the end cap (if doing the front make sure its straight, or your can will be tilted when you mount it back on the bike). take the cap back off and drill the appropriate holes for the rivet size you are using, reinstall cap and rivet in place. Put pipe back on bike and enjoy. I think that about covers it, main thing is take your time, and like they say measure twice, cut once, or you can buy a new pipe

yea ill cut if from the back so u could c akapovic logo, and ill make it shorter by 3-4 inches....i dont feel like doing it yet but eventually ill do it....THANKS

Old 05-03-2008, 09:06 AM

my only problem is that i didnt see any rivits.
if i did see them i wouldnt have posted saying i didnt see how to get it back together.

perhaps they're under that black rubber trim peice....but it seems really thin to be hiding rivits behind it.

i'll check it out again.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:50 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Not sure Rick, if not too hasty hold on for a day or 2. I will be riding with a friend tomorrow with a Micron, i will take a peek at it. Otherwise someone else may chime in.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 PM

that would be great, your opinion means quite a bit to me, as you've only ever spoken from experience, and knowledge.

i'll wait to find out what you see.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:28 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Ok Rick here is the deal. The Micron pipe is welded in the front, and in the back there are bolts on the inside that bolt to the core. Kinda hard to explain here, but long story short you have to cut the pipe, loosen the back cap bolts, you will have to weld the core to the rear section again, then bolt it back up. So i guess the main concern is there will be welding necessary, but it is doable.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:57 PM

hmm...not something i'm equipped to do here anymore. i was considering a devil pipe.....maybe i'll look at how that one is put together