CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   Known cbr954 issues/what to look out for? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/known-cbr954-issues-what-look-out-148977/)

Slo10r 09-04-2013 05:24 PM

Known cbr954 issues/what to look out for?

A buddy of mine is looking to get into a bike and was looking at an older 954. He asked me to go with him to look at it so I'm trying to find out what to look for in one and what problems it might have. So far the only thing I read was about cracked cylinders. Anything that's easy to spot or check?

Conrice 09-04-2013 06:02 PM

Look for piston slap. Its from a motor running with not enough oil. I've had 3 separate motors that I've come into contact with that have had it. It's obvious though if you know what it sounds like. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about anything. It's just basic bike stuff to look for. Check the fairing stays. Look for rash on some sort of part that shouldn't have it (stator cover, forks, swing arm, etc.)

The cracked cylinder thing was only an issue on a small batch of 2003's motors. It happened at low mileage (under 10k), so as you can imagine, there aren't exactly a lot of those left that haven't been discovered.

Slo10r 09-04-2013 09:11 PM

This one has been laid down, but is apparently still in good shape. He doesn't care to much about the fairings in case he drops it, just wants it to be mechanically sound. I'd assume that piston slap would be a distinct bad sound so I'll make sure to listen for something off!

Slo10r 09-04-2013 11:25 PM

Thanks for the the help. This one has been laid down so there is some rash, but is supposedly mechanically sound. Don't really care about the rash as its his first bike and will probably drop it. When he starts it I guess I'll try to listen for some kind of abnormal sound.

Conrice 09-05-2013 07:10 AM

Yeah, I take it you have a zx-10r? I4's should all pretty much sound the same. It should sound pretty similar to your bike. If you have some sort engine knock or something like that, I'd walk away

mika_u 09-05-2013 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1249118)
Look for piston slap. Its from a motor running with not enough oil. I've had 3 separate motors that I've come into contact with that have had it. It's obvious though if you know what it sounds like. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about anything. It's just basic bike stuff to look for. Check the fairing stays. Look for rash on some sort of part that shouldn't have it (stator cover, forks, swing arm, etc.)

The cracked cylinder thing was only an issue on a small batch of 2003's motors. It happened at low mileage (under 10k), so as you can imagine, there aren't exactly a lot of those left that haven't been discovered.

Actually i think that the piston slap on the 954 has more to do whit the design of the motor. Offcourse harder the use is the quicker it will happen. The cylinders are called Alusil and the pistons aren't coated so they scratch the cylinder walls pretty easily and brake the piston skirts. Every car manufacturer that uses Alusil use coated pistons whit the alusil.
I haven't seen any photo of used 954 cylinder whit unscratched cylinders and
piston skirts that are in good condition. One guy i know just broke hes gearbox on a 954 and opened it and allso scrached cylinder walls :icon_no:

Conrice 09-05-2013 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mika_u (Post 1249217)
Actually i think that the piston slap on the 954 has more to do whit the design of the motor. Offcourse harder the use is the quicker it will happen. The cylinders are called Alusil and the pistons aren't coated so they scratch the cylinder walls pretty easily and brake the piston skirts. Every car manufacturer that uses Alusil use coated pistons whit the alusil.
I haven't seen any photo of used 954 cylinder whit unscratched cylinders and
piston skirts that are in good condition. One guy i know just broke hes gearbox on a 954 and opened it and allso scrached cylinder walls :icon_no:

You couldn't possibly mean this could you? haha

Attachment 31354

Of course, that motor had a shattered tranny go through half of it...

mika_u 09-05-2013 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1249228)
You couldn't possibly mean this could you? haha

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...e/IMG_6585.jpg

Of course, that motor had a shattered tranny go through half of it...

Yep. Thats what i mean :icon_biggrin:. I have allso 4 of those. The piston skirt were like rough sandpaper. We were very surprised it still run and didn't even have noticible power losses. If i would wanted to maintain the stock bore the cylinder walls would have to been welded.
My tranny was in quit good shape but i have it on a shop for race- and undercut :) . Hoping to get it back soon. Have been waiting it forever.