CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   Hesitation at high RPM (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/hesitation-high-rpm-89980/)

Icefox 03-24-2009 10:54 PM

Hesitation at high RPM

Here's the problem, around August of last year I noticed that my bike didn't have the power up in the top end that it had before. It seemed like it was hesitating and sputtering around 10k, and wouldn't rev all the way up to redline anymore. I bought the bike with less than 3k miles on it and it has around 19k on it right now. Over the winter months I had changed the plugs hoping that this would fix the problem seeing as it was time to change them anyways with the amount of miles that are on it. I went for my first ride on it since I had changed the plugs a couple days ago and it is still hesitating around 10k, it revs hard all the way up to 10k, but once it gets there it just falls on it's face and sounds/feels like it's hitting the rev limiter. It does feel better after changing the plugs, but it's still not quite right. I brought it home and put it up on the rear stand and plugged the Power Commander into my laptop. I did a few 3rd and 4th gear pulls and watched the laptop screen while doing this and I noticed that once it would hit around 10,100 it wouldn't rev any higher, the fuel change was at -3 and the injector duty cycle was at 50%. I loaded the "stock bike" map back onto the PC and still had the same problem, so I changed it back to the "Two Brothers exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter" map that was on it before. I have a few thoughts on what the problem might be but I want to see if anyone else has any ideas or suggestions for me. Thanks for the input!

CBRinPDX 03-25-2009 06:59 PM

Try disconnecting the PCIII (reconnect the stock harness), you may have a bad PC.

Icefox 03-25-2009 10:34 PM

Well I unplugged the PC and reconncted the stock harness and the problem was still there. There is no FI light during all of this too, so I don't have any way to pull a trouble code to help narrow down the possibilites. Any other suggestions?

bignibb 03-26-2009 04:56 AM

try picking up a can of "SEAFOAM" and putting it in your gas tank with about a quarter tank or so of fuel and let the engine run for a while. take it for a spin and let the stuff work its way throught your injectors and such then fill it up with some good gas and see if the problem clears up.

i had a bad hesitation on my yzf600r and this what i tried and it cleared the problem right up. the bike wouldnt rev past 6000k and if i didnt give it fuel at a stop it would die on me.

and at less than 10 bucks a can it wont brake the bank, no its SEAFOAM not something that is like "SEAFOAM"

WAL-MART has it, they have everything.

CBRnewbie125 10-05-2018 10:46 AM

I have the same problem it won't go past 9k if I let go it starts backfiring. Have you managed to figure out what this problem is as I'm sure we have the same problem?
The first owner was in the army so it was left standing there for some time and when he came back the weather was too bad to ride so I've had the carb cleaned put new a spark plug in and changed the oil and it ran perfectly for a couple of years and now this has started. So I've had the carb cleaned again new spark plug put new fuel pipes on and its still sputtering at 9k and won't go past it I can smell fuel as well quite bad