CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 954RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/)
-   -   Help: CBR 954 Knocking problem (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr-21/help-cbr-954-knocking-problem-117741/)

ma(n)son 10-16-2010 10:29 PM

Help: CBR 954 Knocking problem

I had a heating problem which I tackled over the two months ago, and the cooling system is running rather perfectly now. Turned out to be a kaput water pump which needed to be replaced recently.
What has surfaced over the last couple of weeks is a prominent knocking sound in the lower rpms, about 1500 - 2500 rpm. It takes some extra effort on the clutch to move from standstill and even whilst shifting to second and keep moving without any hiccups.
FYI, the bike is running a Yoshimura TRS half system, K & N filter and a power commander.
Initially I thought it was time for an oil change. I had ridden only 2,000 kms since the last oil change but that had been a year ago. Changed the oil, but that did not help.
Last night I switched between a half system map, full system map, zero map and a map for completely stock bike, that did not help either, the knocking was there irrespective so I just kept it at the half system map which it has been running since I have owned it.
I even took it for ride this morning, thought I just needed to clear its throat as I have not been riding much in the last 6 - 8 months. Just got back from a 90 km short ride, but the knocking is still as prominent as it was before I left.
What is the stuff I should take a look at?

CBRinPDX 10-18-2010 03:38 AM

please clarify, "It takes some extra effort on the clutch to move from standstill and even whilst shifting to second and keep moving without any hiccups". Are you saying that you are having a difficult time shifting into gear?

ma(n)son 10-19-2010 03:27 AM

The gear shifts are perfectly effortless.
What I meant is that a little extra clutch helps in keeping the motor alive and avoiding the knocking. I try and hold it till a sweet spot where it wont knock, and only then release it, which is most 2500 rpm.

J0HNDiLLiNGER 11-19-2010 10:02 AM

im having a simular problem! i have a slight knock @ a low rpm that will disapear when i hold gas just above idle or if i hold clutch it disapears,wtf? how warm is it suppose 2 run? i think mine is running pretty hot, i only let it get to 230 im not sure if it will run hotter i never gave it a chance( only when sitting still

J0HNDiLLiNGER 11-19-2010 10:14 AM

another thing is i have stock exhaust with jardine slip on. i want this full exhaust but every full pipe doesnt have flow box! will it run without flow box & if so how well will it run? my buddys bike wouldnt run without flow box but he jus plugged in the flow box (not connected to pipe just plugged in for computer) & it started running but with a big power loss

txsmainevent 11-19-2010 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by J0HNDiLLiNGER (Post 989363)
im having a simular problem! i have a slight knock @ a low rpm that will disapear when i hold gas just above idle or if i hold clutch it disapears,wtf? how warm is it suppose 2 run? i think mine is running pretty hot, i only let it get to 230 im not sure if it will run hotter i never gave it a chance( only when sitting still

Typical clutch basket noise when the clutch is released and sound changes with clutch pulled. Thats a 954/929 thing, as long as it isnt to loud dont worry about it. When you say 230 are you talking about in traffic on a hot day? Is your fan coming on? During the winter months i dont get past 190. I also dont ride anymore since its to cold here....My flow box as u call it (its called the HTEV) is unhooked menus the electrical portion with the butterflys laced open and no problems.....

J0HNDiLLiNGER 11-20-2010 12:37 PM

knocking is very low volume but i can feel it, it starts jus above idle & ends shortly after & its only while in gear, if i hold clutch thers no knocking. yes fan works, yes 230 was mid summer standing still, i started it and walk away bcuz i just rebuilt it & i was going over everythng looking 4 leaks or any funny noises. while im riding it runs between 180 190 witch all my bikes ran @, but my 600's never went over 220! this is my 1st fi bike, i know on carbed bikes u get a pipe u just slap some jets in & ur good 2 go. i realy want this akrapovic full pipe but didnt get it bcuz im not sure wut else i would need to get in order to have it run correctly

CBRinPDX 11-26-2010 04:12 AM

Clutch basket noise is not uncommon, you'll find this on many bikes that actually get used.

Full-systems are not made by mistake but also not intended to be used alone. You'd be a fool to not install a PCIIIr and have it tuned (mod the intake while you're at it) be sure to leave the servo connected or you'll trip a code (34 I believe).

I would not let my bike hit 230f, I'd lane split by then..

To Manson, I've not forgot about you, but without actually being next to the bike I'm not sure how to advise..

ma(n)son 11-27-2010 02:18 AM

I am almost sorted, but not quite. Some help from Clem3 on fireblades.org and a couple of visits to the local mech and we have diagnosed the knocking to the ignition coil & cap, part # 1 on the wiring harness schematic.
It broken, so on the first visit the mech taped it up and the problem had gone. But we needed to replace the same to permanently cure the issue. I have ordered the same, it is expected to reach by the 7th of next month.
Lats few months I have barely ridden a couple of hundred kms and visited the mech atleast 6-7 times to sort the ****les. I hope this is the final thing.

On the brighter side, I scored on an Arata full system last month which shoudl reach me by next week as well. Someone in the US who I got in touch with helped me with a map for the full system too, but he was hesitant as the oxygen content in the fuel we have here isnt the same. Any idea or opinions on this?

Also ordered a new battery to keep up with the minimum kms I do in a year. Yuasa TTZ 10S BS, just over a 100 USD from ebay.

J0HNDiLLiNGER 11-28-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by CBRinPDX (Post 991340)
Clutch basket noise is not uncommon, you'll find this on many bikes that actually get used.

Full-systems are not made by mistake but also not intended to be used alone. You'd be a fool to not install a PCIIIr and have it tuned (mod the intake while you're at it) be sure to leave the servo connected or you'll trip a code (34 I believe).

I would not let my bike hit 230f, I'd lane split by then..

To Manson, I've not forgot about you, but without actually being next to the bike I'm not sure how to advise..

ok so 230f is bad, what is the high temp it shouldnt go over? pc3r must be power commander, but intake upgrade all i have is k&n, is that what u mean or is there something else to upgrade on the intake?