CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

Has to be in neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has to be in neutral?

So just like the title says, my bike has to be in neutral to start. I am not to upset about it since it does start, but it would be nice if it would start so long as the clutch is pulled, like it used to.

A little background. I wrecked it just over two years ago, and have rebuilt it myself. So I may have loosened something I shouldn't have maybe? I don't really know. I had to replace the upper fairing, windshield frame, left clip on and controls, tank, tail, tail light and pipe. I went over the front of it in traffic for anyone that's curious.

So does anyone have an idea of what might cause this?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:35 PM

If your kickstand is down, it won't start - even with the clutch pulled in - when in gear.

If that's not it, the neutral switch, or wiring going to or from, may have gotten damaged.

My 2c...

Old 05-21-2009, 07:54 AM

i know the kickstand has to be up. where is the neutral switch at?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM

Also check the clutch switch - two small wires connecting to the clutch lever housing, should be the same wiring connection/bundle as turn signals.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
Also check the clutch switch - two small wires connecting to the clutch lever housing, should be the same wiring connection/bundle as turn signals.
do the two plugs have to be on a specific connector? i have them both connected but there's nothing identifying which should be where.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

thats how it suppose to work lol

Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
thats how it suppose to work lol
well when i first got it I could start it in any gear with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled in, so I kinda think that that's how it is to supposed to work.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by King Klong
well when i first got it I could start it in any gear with the kickstand up and the clutch pulled in, so I kinda think that that's how it is to supposed to work.
ah my bad, misread or understood. With the kick stand up its pose to start with the clutch pulled in. And with it down it has to be in neutral clutch in or not. Prolly has sumtin out of sync/wack then.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than likely it's going to be in your clutch switch since you did go down on the left side.Make sure the wires are connected,if they are and still can't start with clutch in probably a faulty switch.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:55 PM

just went out on my break and took a look. the clutch switch was a little loose. actually it was so loose that the push rod wasn't being contacted by the clutch lever. i repositioned it, and it didn't help. i guess i probably need to buy a new switch, but i'm gonna take a closer look once I get home. thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Has to be in neutral?